1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DCR-TRV30 - the right choice?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Jess, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Jess

Jess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm a third year Graphic Design student in need of some advice! Am having a complete indecisive nightmare trying to decide which Mini DV to buy. After looking around loads I have now 'almost' decided on the Sony DCR-TRV30, mainly because it seems the best around for around £1,000. I like the format, features (DV in/out) and the fact it has the best quality stills around. I would really appreciate any advice on my choice and any thoughts from people who have this camcorder. Is it as good as it sounds? How do you rate it?
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    Jess

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,416
    I wanted a DV camcorder which is easy to use (point and shoot), produces top quality pictures, allows me to archive the footage easily onto CD and is good value for money.
    I went for the TRV30 and I'm not disappointed.
    I already have a Digicam - the now discontinued Olympus C2000 which produces still photos waaaay better then the Sony. I would say that the Olympus produces photos good enough to print glossy prints from whereas the Sony does not.
    The replacement to the Olympus C2000 - the 2040 I think - costs £350.
    I would not recommend using the still photo facility for anything other than low quality snaps, which you can obtain from the DV footage anyway.
    Check out this page for a direct comparison.
    http://www.avforums.com/sdw/photos.html (bottom of the page).
    For DV footage, a cheap firewire card and cable plus Pinnacle Studio software means easy transfer to VCD for the grandparents. Choose SVCD 480x576 and you get an image quality which displays well projected onto a 7 foot wide screen.
    I don't regret buying it for a moment.

3. colinrbarrett

colinrbarrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jess - I reviewed the TRV30 for Camcorder User back in the Autumn and in my opinion it's a lovely camcorder. It's not too small (like the PC series, which I'm not a lover of) and it has a nice even weight distribution. Admittedly it's only a single CCD model, but it stands up well against many 3CCD models I've seen so I wouldn't put too much in store in that respect (people get too hung up on resolution anyway - I say look at the output and decide).

As you rightly say, 1.5 megapixel images written to the Memory Stick are really good, too. I use several from this cam as desktop images on my PC and they'll wonderful to look at.

In all honesty, this is the best camcorder Sony has launched since the DCR-VX2000, so if I were in your shoes I'd buy one. I was just sorry when Sony asked for the review sample back!

Colin Barrett
    Freelance Contributor, "Camcorder User" and "What Camcorder" magazines.

Website: http://www.simplydv.co.uk (includes the CU review of the TRV30)

4. Jess

Jess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much Spectre and Colin, your replies were very helpful! I have heard all good things about the TRV30 so am now prepared to make the plunge (and very excited about it too!)
    The next question is where do I buy it from? I have looked at many places over the internet and have found a few for around the £1050 mark.....which seems to be a load cheaper than in the shops. Is this the cheapest I'm gonna find? Any ideas on the cheapest place/website to buy? (Am a student so every penny counts!) ;o)
    Thanks again!
    Jess

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ummed & ahhed for ages between the TRV30 & the Panny MX300B. In the end I went for the Panny. (Don't ask me what it's like....it's wrapped up for Christmas!:) )
    Anyway, try www.letsgodigital.co.uk Prices are good, & they delivered my MX300 the next day.
    Also try www.electrocentre.com