Sony DCR-SR32 to Toshiba 37WLT66

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by kevin_Fozzy, Sep 21, 2007.

1. kevin_Fozzy

kevin_Fozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have had the 37WLT66 LCD fo a while now and have just bought the a Sony DCR-32 camcorder. I seem to be struggling with the image quality after recording inside. The recording is not unwatchable but just does not appear very sharp. On a normal CRT (28") television the picture is much clearer. Is this a common problem ? I have played around with all of the settings on the tv and camcorder but dont seem to be able to find a picture I am totally happy with. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I think it is simply due to:

- The SR32 is an entry level HDD model; small sensor, performance indoors/low light is not that good.

- You notice the quality much more on a larger screen.

3. kevin_Fozzy

kevin_Fozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that might be the case, what sort of improved quality would I get from a camcorder that uses tapes or discs for the same sort of budget £300 - £350. Or alternatively how much more would I have to pay for a good improvement on a HDD, I am guessing from other posters that the next step up would be the SR190 ? Is this camera really that much better?

Thanks for any help I'm a complete novice to camcording but a new arrival to the family has kicked me into investing in one. I'm not sure if I should be dissapointed with the quality or if its just that I was maybe expecting too much!

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    There is a pretty big difference between the SR32 and either the SR190, or a DV model like the Sony HC96 or Panasonic GS320. Those 3 models are roughly similar in quality, but the SR190 costs £100 or so more.

Having said that, any camcorder will do better in good light; adding a video light, or even simply turning on more lights in the house can make a difference too.

5. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    And even the 190 isn't a patch on the old 90, is it?

6. kevin_Fozzy

kevin_Fozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. After some playing around with the settings I am a little happier with it although still not great under low light. I am now undecide as to take it back and get a refund which I have 5 days left to decide ! or stick with it. A mate has also decided he wants to sell his Canon mv830i. Is this any better and what sort of price should I be willing to pay for it 2nd hand? (I believe it is still in good condition having not been used too muh)
    Thanks
    Kev

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    MV830i will be probably slightly better, but it is still a small sensor model. The new Canon MD101 will give you about the same quality; you can buy those new for well under £200.