SONY DCR-SR190/290 - who's got it? is it good? reviews?

marian99

Standard Member
I have one month to buy a cam before my first newborn is here. I want to buy this one (prefer sr190 to 290)
Have not seen any reviews so far. I have my doubts and therefore I am eager to find out about the performance of this cam.
Anyone has got any real experience or have seen review ?

Thanks for any info.

susievesla

Standard Member
Hi Marian

I have bought the 190 found it has no problems so far but have'nt tried to link it to my pc yet just shown them back on the TV. The quality is great, most of my filming has been indoors. Was very impressed with the nightshot filming in total darkness producing video of the same quality as say 'Most Haunted'.

As for reviews i would look on some of the american sites as i found user reviews on there for the DCR-SR200/300 which is their equivlent of the 190/290.

Hope this helps

Susie

peterace

Standard Member
I have one month to buy a cam before my first newborn is here. I want to buy this one (prefer sr190 to 290)
Have not seen any reviews so far. I have my doubts and therefore I am eager to find out about the performance of this cam.
Anyone has got any real experience or have seen review ?

Thanks for any info.

I bought the 190 about a month ago for the same reason as you. So far I'm impressed. The picture is great. I always keep it on the HQ setting, though (which means 'only' about 7 hours recording time). The touchscreen makes operation and playback very easy, and the quality of the image on the screen is very sharp and clear too.

The recordings download quickly via USB to to my laptop. The only dissappointment is that I seem unable to edit my clips together using Windows Movie Maker 2.1. It looks like I'll have to buy some other editing software. I'm intending on getting a new laptop in a month or so, so I'll wait to see if the Vista version of Movie Maker is any better, I think.

So far I would definitely recommend this camera. Easy to use, light, with great picture quality.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
The only dissappointment is that I seem unable to edit my clips together using Windows Movie Maker 2.1. It looks like I'll have to buy some other editing software. I'm intending on getting a new laptop in a month or so, so I'll wait to see if the Vista version of Movie Maker is any better, I think.

Correct, Movie Maker on XP doesn't support editing MPEG2 (which is what the SR190 shoots). I believe the Vista version does... also most commercial editing applications can edit it.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom