Sony DCR SR-32E

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by OU812, Jan 22, 2008.

1. OU812

OU812

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm thinking of buying the above camera, mainly for the HDD, so I don't have to take any extras (DVD/Tapes) with me on holiday. What format is the image saved in? I know it'd not as editable as a recording on tape, but will I still be able to do some basic editing? Also, will it be in a format that I can upload to the web or can it be converted into a suitable (wmv, etc) file type for web sharing? Also, are there any other alternatives I could be looking at for the price? (Max about £300). :thumbsup:

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    It records MPEG2 video. You can edit it

Quality isn't so great with this, or other HDD cams in this price range.
    I'd rather put 7 tapes in my case (to match the HDD capacity) and get a DV model in this price range.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
  4. OU812

OU812

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Most of the reviews I've seen on it say the quality is quite good. Hmmm. What about the DVD recorders? Any benefits with those over tape?

5. OU812

OU812

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    You'll see some info in the FAQ on DVD cams which may put you off. Quality-wise they are similar to HDD cams; they use the same MPEG2 format. The advantage is you can shoot, finalise, and put the disc in a DVD player. But there can be issues.

Here is a review of the SR42, which is the US version of the SR32.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496019

It's not terrible, you may be OK with it. It is just that HDD cams like this in this price range with a small single sensor aren't as good quality as a DV tape cams in the same price range. Or you can pay more and get a decent HDD one.

7. OU812

OU812

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd love to pay more but I have 1 limiting factor (the Mrs!! :D ) so I'm stuck to around the £300 mark. Plus we'd only really be using the camera for the odd holiday (couple times a year) and for days out in the summer. I had a Sony Mini-DV camcorder until last year, got it about 4 years ago and it was so big and bulky I never used it. I assume the new range on Mini DV Camcorders are more compact? (I have to admit I enjoyed messing around editing films I'd made with my old camcorder, it's just a shame that transferring tape to a PC takes so long!)

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes, today's miniDV models are more compact; though the tend to be slightly larger than a HDD (or flash memory cam).

For instance, the Panasonic GS230, which is a good DV model in your budget, is 71.0 mm (W) 72.5 mm (H) 122.9 mm (D)
    The SR32 is 73.0 (W) 72.0 (H) 109.0 (D)

9. OU812

OU812

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just been looking at the GS230, which seems to have a fairly good spec and reviews for the money. I've just whipped my ruler out and that's still pretty small compared to my old Sony. Thanks for the advice Redsox!!!!:clap:

10. OU812

OU812

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Soooo, just a quickie. Further to my posting above would I be wasting my money getting a GS230 now or should I wait a while and see what else comes out later in the year? I've can get a GS230, Jessops camcorder kit, that includes a bag, cleaning equipment and a spare battery for £319.97 which includes a £40 discount using a £25 off code and £15 off the accessories!

11. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    All of the major manufacturers have already announced their 2008 models, most of which are being released over the next couple of months.
    I don't think there will be anything which performs better than the GS230 for the price. There will be a bunch of new HDD (and SD card) models, which may bring prices down further on those. Canon as new SD card models, with a single 1/6" ccd. Panasonic has the H280 (successor to the H250), 3 CCD SD/HDD model... but still expect this to be over your budget. Sony's new HDD cams look like much of the same, worryingly on the high end model (SR210) the sensor is 1/5" compared to 1/3" on the SR190.

12. OU812

OU812

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, I think for the amount of use it's going to get the GS230 seems like a good deal to me!! :thumbsup:

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes, I agree... I don't think you'll get better by waiting

14. OU812

OU812

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Great, thanks for all the help. I hope my new Credit Card is waiting for me when I get home so I can do some shopping! :D:clap::D

15. marchudman

marchudman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I bought this model from Amazon and sent it back because the quality was rubbish compared to a £150 - £200 Mini DV Camcorder.

16. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Sadly I have to agree with that:mad:
    It isnt one of Sonys sterling efforts.. Saying that , it is reflective of quality of HDD camcorders at that price range in all the brands

17. OU812

OU812

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Quick update. We went out looking for camcorders yesterday and couldn't find anyone with the GS230 in stock. However, the wife spotted 'one that looked nice' :D behind the counter in a local independent retailer, it turned out to be a Sony HDR-SR7E, so after a bit of faffing, fiddling and general oohing and ahhing we decided to buy it, however it was the last one in the shop, so they knocked £80 off :thumbsup: So, that's the end of this thread then and I'm now a happy owner of an SR7E!! Roll on our holiday!!!

18. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Congrats - the SR7 is indeed a good camcorder. Editing or playing from a PC needs a fast computer (as it is AVCHD). But you can deal with that after the holiday...

19. OU812

OU812

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm hoping my PC will be okay for this, I'm running 2GB RAM and a AMD Athlon X2 dual core. I've just got to figure out which software will be best now! Would Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum Edition be a suitable programme or is Pinnacle Studio 11 Ultimate version better?