1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DCR-PC9E - How do I download recordings from DV Cassettes to PC

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by iamshe, Aug 25, 2005.

1. iamshe

iamshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a newbie and I have a Dell Dimension 5000 PC on windows XP, pre-installed with windows movie maker software, which looks like it will cover all my basic requirements. I can only locate spare USB ports; tried connecting Camcorder via USB, but device only recognised when switching to memory stick mode, which seems longwinded way of transferring media aswell as poor quality and I can't afford big enough memory stick to transfer all the cassettes I have! Is there an alternative route, (can't find solution in manual)? Your help much appreciated.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Install a firewire card (cost £20, probably cheaper if you shop around) and you are there. The other option is an analogue card or a analogue to usb convertor but these are really only for stupid people. Open the cover and slip in a firewire. Its the only way to do it.

3. Greenbag

Greenbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the firewire route is the best as Roy suggests. Firstly install any driver software that comes with it. The switch the computer off and install the card. Just remember to earth yourself to get rid of any static before you put the card into a spare slot in the computer. Also try hard not to touch any of the components or connectors on the card itself. Make sure it is 'seated' correctly in the slot and just have a quick look around to make sure no other cables or connectors have come loose as it can get very cramped inside a pc. Close up and switch on and 'hopefully' the card will be recognised as new hardware.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Err what drivers :confused:
    Firewire has not needed any additional drivers since Windows 98se. Any supplied software with a firewire card will be editing software and not drivers. If you are happy useing Movie Maker then don't install any other software at this point. Remove one of the blanking plates on the back of the case and push the card into the slot on the motherboard and screw it in place (if possible don't use slot closest to graphics card!). Reboot the PC and the firewire card is ready to use - that really is all there is to it.

Mark.

[vonhosen - edited to remove personal comments]

5. iamshe

iamshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all your replies, v.helpful. You make it sound easy so I'm off to buy a firewire card!

6. Greenbag

Greenbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To Mark

I am only passing on the advice I've gotten over the years and you just seem to sit on the sidelines ready to jump down people throats if they forget to cross their t's or dot their i's. May I shouldn't have mentioned anything about earthing yourself or avoid touching the contacts or components on the card. There is a set procedure in putting cards into a pc and if it isn't folowed correctly your looking at a repair bill.

[vonhosen - edited to remove personal attack comments]