1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DCR PC55 - Wiping Tape

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by jmsuch, Jul 3, 2005.

1. jmsuch

jmsuch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know how to wipe the tape once I have transferred to PC Via Firewire, I cannot find out how to do it although I would have thought it would have been easy.

Cheers

JMS
    :confused:

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you don't really need to wipe the tape - simply put it back into your camera - rewind it and start again - simply record over the previous items - but are you really SURE you want to erase those precious memories - I keep all my tapes - if it was worth recording is it not worth keeping ?.

If you want to simply end up with a blank tape then again just put the tape back in your camera - keep the lens cap on - keep very quite and press record, better still if you have a 'Fade' function use that while you record as that often mutes the microphone as well

3. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The pc55 has a auto lens cover so I can see what the OP is asking. I just use the tapes over again. If for some reason the old footage is not tapped over at the start then that just gets edited out with pinnacle.

Steve

4. jmsuch

jmsuch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Problem is (and I think it is with my software I am using windows movie software) if I record say fifteen minutes and the download to PC and then rewind and record ten minutes, the end of one session spills over ro the beginning of the next one.

Can anyone recommend one software over another although I am really a one button sort of guy, whistles and bells aren't for me. I like to keep things simple.

Cheers

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well in that case just hold your hand or a book over the lens while you record.

The object of an editing programme jmsuch is that you just edit out the pieces you dont want - so if you still see some of the original footage just trim it out. Editing programmes don't come very much simpler than Windows MovieMaker, one or two of the middle range programmes like Ulead VideoStudio do have a "Wizard" incorporated to help you get from camera to DVD easily but you still have to make the editing decisions.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    I don't 'wipe' my tapes and as Beejaycee, i keep them all. At £3 a tape I see no reason to reuse them. Tapes are easy to wear out if you keep reuseing them and I don't want to risk loosing the chance to film something because I have broken tape wound arounfd the heads of my cam - not to mention the expensive repair bill!

But if I did want to wipe a tape I would just bring it into work and put it in the degauzzer (electromagnetic field generator for removeing data from computer tapes). One of the few advantages of working in a computer room, although that is where I am now and will be 'till 08:30 tomorrow morning, so it's not all good.

Mark.