Sony DCR-PC55, anyone own one?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by londonmtech, Mar 5, 2005.

1. londonmtech

londonmtech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am hoping to buy this Mini DV camcorder in the next couple of days but I would like some assurance from current owners or those in the know!

I am a video amateur who will only take the camera out if it is conveniently small, hence my choice! I will be capturing onto an iMac G5 through a Firewire connection (is Firewire 400 enough or is Firewire 800 needed)? I will be capturing into Final Cut Pro Express and editing from there.

I have been told that this camera provides an analogue to digital converter, by connecting to the AV cable and using an AV IN/OUT adaptor. Is this so? How does this work exactly?

Also curious about image and sound quality alongside battery life.

Finally, is there a difference between the PC55 and PC55E? If so what is it?

PC55 owners reveal yourselfs!

Thanks.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Sorry, but I don't know the PC55E but can help with some of your other questions:

Bog standard firewire is all that is required for capture from a camcorder. As with all things computer bassed they upgrade & improve the specs of everything. I can only think that the newer, faster firewire standards are being developed for thing such as Hi Def video as I can't think of anything that currently requires more bandwidth.

Well assuming you are correct in saying it can do A>D conversion (and I have no reason to think you are not!) then to get an analogue video recording onto the Mac via the cam:

connect your VCR, analogue cam etc to the AV ports of the cam (sound & video)
    connect the cam to Mac via firewire
    put cam into VCR mode (or whatever its called)
    press play on the VCR
    Use your normal capture software to capture the analogue source via the cam. You will need to disable 'device control' in the capture software though.

Again, without knowing the cam, but I can say with certainty you will need to buy another longer life battery. Most cams are supplied with a basic life battery that is likely to last less time than a single tape especially if useing the LCD screen.

The 'E' at the end of Sony camcorders normally just means that it is the model specifically made for the English (or should that be British) market. A lot of retailers will advertise the generic cam name so you will need to confirm you are getting a British model before buying.

HTH,
    Mark.

3. fcat

fcat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0