Sony DCR-PC350E Help

mccltd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just purchased my 1st camcorder as DCR-350E.

Trouble is that when recording a recording of it via the USB cradle the film is like something of a webcam, nothing like what i can see on the cameras screen.
What am I doing wrong?

If you mean that you're wanting to transfer footage to your PC, you will need to connect it via Firewire; USB is only adequate for stills

Hi mccltd and welcome to the forum :hiya:

Modern camcorders with USB connections can be very confusing as this does lead people to believe that they can transfer video via this, but as you have discovered you can only get very low quality - webcam quality!
As advised by Eee-Tee you do need to connect via firewire to get the full quality video onto the PC. Most PC's will not already have this connection, but you can add it on a PCI card that will cost you about £10 from the likes of ebuyer. The card should also be supplied with the required cable to connect from the camcorder to the card.

Mark.

Thanks to the both of you.

I acutally own a Computer Trade company so have the lead at work and the computer has the 1394 port.
I will grab a lead tomorrow and have a play.
You would think that it would come with both leads and have a detailed explanantion of needing firewire to extract video.
I thought that as it was supplied with a docking station it was obvious what people are going to do with it.

Thanks again to the both of you.

Dave.
www.medwaycomputers.co.uk

Well that was my point about the new cams with USB being confusing. If I didn't know better I would also assume that transfer to the PC would be via USB. It is about time they said what was what in the manual.
I can see why the firewire cable is not included, as many people just wont use it as they are not interested in editing, and it does help to keep costs down even if it is only by a couple of quid!

Good luck with the capture & editing. Let us know how you get on as I'm sure you will have a lot of questions once you get up & running.

Mark.

Right got the firewire cable plugged in and made sure the usb was unpluuged so I knew it was using firewire. When I select edit on the camera the Sony software comes up on the screen.
I did some recording but again not highly impressed with the quality.
When I viewed it full screen it was terrible.

Also on the camera itself you can select on the touch screen Burn VCD, but I cannot select the Burn DVD its greyed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys..

Don't use the included Sony software!

If you have Windows XP then use the very good MS Movie Maker software that is part of the XP install. If not then get hold of something such as Pinnacle or Ulead software.
Also, you should control the cam from the software and not the software from the cam. You will only be able to use the Sony software if useing the camcorder controls. Just put the cam into VCR mode and the software will detect the cam on startup (as long as its connected and in the VCR/player mode). The software should offer VCR type controls to take control of the cam without needing to use the cams buttons.

Mark.

Just a note on the DVD burn being greyed out. I've got the lesser PC330 and there is a function on that that allows you to burn dirctly to a DVD if you are connected to a Sony Vio computer. If you're not (like myself) then grey is the order of the day!!
Cliff

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom