1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DCR-PC120E connection problems

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by MJViney, Jan 3, 2003.

1. MJViney

MJViney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I buy a Sony PC120 after reading good reviews and because it has a firewire connection (i link). All the Sony literature says you just connect it by a IEEE1394 card and run the VideoWave III software provided by Sony with the camcorder.

Running Microsoft ME and directx8.1 I install the DV1000LE firewire card..no problem ...device appears in device manager ok

Connect Camcorder and immediately a big yellow ? appears under "imaging devices" and Video Wave does not recognise the camcorder.

Try a variety of drivers but no good and the Power Manager also plays up!! Does all this sound familiar?

A search on bulletin boards indicates that I am not alone in this experience and it seems that Sony products are the least compatible with the rest of the world.

A call to Sony and hopeless indifference, with downright lies about never having heard of the problem before. Refund? out of the question.

Call to firewire card manufacture..it's a Sony problem!!

Some remedies offered on bulletin boards are to upgrade to Windows XP, try a firewire card with Texas chipset instead of Lucent etc etc.

Sony and others should not be allowed to get away with selling a product without great big warnings that it may not (probably will not) work with all IEEE1394 cards on Windows ME, XP etc

If anyone has found the answer please let me know so that my blood pressure drops!!!

Thanks

Mike

2. andyjg

andyjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting the same problem with my new Sony DCR-PC120 and Windows XP....can anyone out there help?

3. MJViney

MJViney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After changing firewire cards from a Lucent to a Texas based version there was no difference but the camcorder connected ok to some one elses computer.

So re installed windows ME ...and joy!!!

I would suggest folk try the following:

1) Check device manager and make sure there are no conflicts
    (yellow "?" under "imaging device"

2) Make sure you have Direct x 8.1

3Remove firewire card and restart computer.

4) Shut down insert card and restart making sure the computer recognises the card.

5) try plugging in camcorder and switch on. If the computer does not recognise the cam corder and all is well...re install Windows and repeat steps above.

One thing for sure is you won't get any help from Sony!!

You can check the ca corder out by using anothe machine or going to somewhere like PC world.

Hope this helps

Mike

4. andyjg

andyjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help! I've tried just about everything that you suggested - I now think that there is an incompatibility between the Sony camcorder and my Firewire card, which uses a VIA chipset. The camcorder works fine on my iMac, so I know it works! I'm going to try another Firewire card and see how I get on.

Thanks again....

5. andyjg

andyjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - problem solved. It looks like the original Firewire card I installed (based on the VIA chipset) wasn't compatible with my Sony camcorder. I ordered an Adaptec Fireconnect 4300 card, based on the Texas Instruments chipset, installed the card, plugged in the camera, and everything is working now. The Adaptec card was nearly twice the price of the previous card (made by Tekram), but it just goes to show that if you're spending top dollar on a camcorder, don't skimp on the Firewire card!