1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DCR-PC100E DV In Questions

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by DaveH, Jan 2, 2004.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all,

I have the above camcorder and finally have a computer that is capable of connecting to the above (once I purchase a firewire card).

I have a slight worry or two.

Firstly, I heard that the dv in socket on some camcorders is disabled and that you need a widget to activate it. Is this the same on this camcorder. I ask as I know it was on the Sony PC5 (I think it was).

Also what kind of card would you recommend running on WinXP home edition for the above...

Many thanks...

DaveH.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've just done a quick Google search and found a review by PCPlus mag which says that DV-in is enabled out of the box on the PC100E :smashin:

Firewire cards are all the same unless they have hardware codecs. Therefore as long as it is a firewire PCI card (aka ieee1394 or DV) then it will capture full quality video from your camcorder. These cost from around £15 from the likes of Dabs etc.
    You say that you are running Win XP, therefore you have editing software already installed. Movie Maker is part of the XP install, but is very poor. I would suggest you get on the MS web site and get the free download for MM2 which is far better.

Mark.

3. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Excellent.

Thanks for the reply.

I bought a card today and created my first movie after downloading the Movie Maker 2.

It was great!

I really enjoyed it.

Cheers.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Welcome to the wonderful world of NLE.

Now all you need to do is cut up the credit card before you get into a massive cycle of PC hardware/software upgrades :devil:

Mark.