1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DCR IP5 Problems

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by billyl, Aug 20, 2003.

1. billyl

billyl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Recently bought a Sony DCR IP5 MicroMV Camcorder.

Initially i was very pleased with its performance however a recurring problem is really getting on my nerves.

When playing back , the image freezes for about a second and then jumps. This happens consistently and not only in transitions.

Is there a design fault with this model or a just a faulty camcorder?

2. wynouk

wynouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Sony IP7 which is the same camcorder only with blue tooth.

I got it last xmas and it's only just recently i had a good play with it, after recording loads of stuff i decided to edit my footage using Pinaccle studio ver 8.5.

I then sat back to view the finished product with horror, at each clip end as you say It freezes for a second then the picture jumps a few times before going on to the next section.

It seems to be at where i stopped filming and at the start of the next peice I filmed???
    I did think it was just something I did wrong ?? until I read your story which has got me thinking it may be a fault with the camcorder??

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I think the problem with jumping could be caused by small gaps between shots. This causes a gap in the timecode on the tapes. T9imecode is then used by the editing software, but would not be noticed when playing the origional tape on the camcorder.
    There are 2 options that I know to prevent this.
    1. Do not remove the tape from the camcorder. If you do -
    2. review the tape and make sure the new recording is started slightly overlapping the previous recording.

If you can get into the habit of doing both of the above (as powering off may also cause a gap in TC) then you should be able to prevent the freezing.

Give it a go and see if it helps.

Mark.

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Make sure that you when you insert new tapes that you record from start to finish on the tape to give the tape an unbroken timecode. You can do this with the lens cap on, it doesn't matter what you record as long as it is from start to finish unbroken code.

You can the record over this prepared tape at a later date & it will prevent timecode problems in editing applications.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Striping the tape will work, but it is a solution that will put a heavy workload on your camcorder. The extra wear & tear on the heads of the camcorder will reduce its life by a considerable amount.
    But if you can be bothered with the time & effort required then it will prevent the gaps in the TC.

Mark.

6. Phil eXt

Phil eXt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i work with Billyl, but he's off this week.

Its not between clips that it jumps (even though that does happen), it's actually during continuous filming that the glitch occurs.

Sounds like a fault ??