1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DCR-HC42E HELP! DV to PC by Fireware...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by goldc0der, May 11, 2005.

1. goldc0der

goldc0der

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi:

I have a Video Camara Sony DCR-HC42E (MiniDV).

I bought an I I-LINK 4 Pin - 6 Pin (IEE 1394) cable, to tranfer the movie from camara to pc.

I installed several programs to try to tranfer movie from camara to pc, like Nero Vision Express, WinDV, Pinnacle Studio 8 even Sony Vegas 6.0.

Each time i tried to capture movie, give an error, that dont detect video camara, to verify cable connection, restart pc, etc etc... all was done!

When i connect video camara in Play/Edit Mode (connected trought Fireware Cable), it appears an Icon (of a video camara) on Windows Explorer, like an Removable Drive.

When i click on that icon its appears a Gray rectangle, on the right side of Windows Explorer, and when i press play on video camara, the movie appears on that rectangle.. its means that cable is working ok!

There is no conflict on Control Panel, on Devices Manager.

I think that could be an selection that i have to make on Video Camara Menu, but Manual Video Camara dont help to much on this task.

Computer:
    - PENTIUM4 3Ghz
    - Fireware Port belongs to Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Z2 Sound Card.
    - Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
    - 1 GB RAM
    - Hard Drive SATA 160GB (90GB Free Space)

Note: I dont have any Memory Stick on Video Camara (i recorded movies directly on MiniDV Tape)

I think i need some special fireware drivers for this video camara or some special codecs... i dont know...

It was awnsome if someone could help me with this problem.

Thanks to all
    Goldc0der

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I think you have solved your own problems here!

You say that when you put the camcorder into play/edit mode the PC detects it. Well this is the mode the camcorder needs to be in for video capture.
    Windows 98SE or later is installed with all the required drivers/Codecs to capture video via firewire. No other software is required to make the connection. All you need is the capture & editing program such as Movie Maker 2 etc.

Mark.

3. goldc0der

goldc0der

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MarkE19 and thanks for help..

Finally i discover the problem.. i had installed ACE Mega CodecS Pack 6.03.

When i tried to play movie video camara, a Codec named Vob(something)... conflits connection fireware. I Uninstall all codecs and voilá...

Work fine with Windows Movie Maker 2 too.

I post this message for those that need help to resolved same problem.

Thanks to all
    goldc0der

4. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can I ask what you htink of that camcorder? Been looking at it the last few days? How does it deal with indoor shooting at night (e.g. under lamps conditions)? Good quality?

5. goldc0der

goldc0der

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Mat-d-Rat:

I´m very happy with SONY DCR-HC42E.
    It has a very complete menu options, where you can choose several movie effects, like sepia, old movie effect, etc etc...

About graphics, HC42E has a very good quality.
    You can choose several options about lighting contrasts, like option to film against light, few light, inside or outside film option (between others).

About dark, HC42E has 2 options, Nightshoot option and Super Nightshoot Option. Nightshoot option uses a infrared system to capture images. I tested in my room without any light. Quality its not so good ovecourse, but i´m surprise how a video capara could capture images in a 100% dark place.
    Super Nightshoot Option, its the same that Nightshoot Option. The image its better with this option but with movement images pass with same stops.

After all, a video camara was made to film vacations places, people, partys etc etc, not on 100% dark places :)

In general, i´m very happy with my choise, it is a very good video camara even in quality/price.

Offcourse, if you whant a very good video camara, with very high graphics, you have to spent more money.
    In my case i´m happy because video camara does it own work, with good quality, its very small, and it has a very nice design and colours.

Try this link!

Hope it helps...

Greatz
    Goldc0der

6. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks, ebuy have it on special at the moment (£380) think I'll order it today. Have you got an extra lens/lights for it?

7. goldc0der

goldc0der

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again:

I just bought SONY DCR-HC42E Video Camara, a NP-FS90 extra battery (you could record about during 6 hours :thumbsup: ), bag, and some Sony MiniDV tapes nothing more.. maybye on the future.. for now its enough :smashin:

8. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just bought it, so far very happy. The "Auto Video" app is rather cool. Tempted to buy the proper retail muvee.com software!