1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DCR-HC40E - Video transfer via firewire

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mlavado, Sep 1, 2005.

1. mlavado

mlavado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony DCR-HC40E and I bought a Firewire Conceptronic PCI 3 Ports with an IEEE 1394 cable to make video transfer.

I have windows XP and I try to use Adobe Premier, Windows Video Maker and PicturePackage from Sony. All this software tells me that the cam is not connected, when I plug the cable in the cam to the PC.

I have put usb stream in the cam but it is not working. The video transfer is only working with USB cable. Can anyone please tell what I am doing wrong :lease:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Assuming that the firewire card is correctly installed, and therefore detected by XP, plugging in the cam should be very simple. The only thing is that you must do things in the correct order.

plug the cam via firewire (don't use a USB connection at any point)
    switch the cam into play/VCR mode (cam should now be detected by XP)
    start the software you want to use to capture the footage (software should detect the cam)

If the camcorder is in its recording mode then the PC will not detect it as an available device.
    Check that the firewire card is installed ok by looking for ieee1394 in device manager. If there is a yellow circle with an ! beside the ieee1394 ports then there is a problem with it. Try removing it and reinstalling (rebooting between) and if there are still problems then try a different PCI slot. It is always best to avoid whenever possible the PCI slot closest to the graphics card.

Good luck with getting it all working. Let us know how you get on and if you are still having problems then let us know of any error messages etc and we will try to give some more advice.

Mark.

3. mlavado

mlavado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark, for your help, but unfortunately the problem continue.

I have tried following your instructions, plugging the camera in the order that you write.

Before plug the camera I have checked the device manager and confirm that the device is working properly and there is no yellow circle with an !. I have put the camera in USB stream and A/V-DV out mode. I do not no if this is correct.

After plug the camera appears in the camera a DVin message and start blinking a blue light in the camera.

After that I have opened the Windows Movie Maker and appears a message, first that is not a tape in the cam, and after the second try appears a message that the cam it is not connected. The same happened with the PicturePackaged.

What can I do to solve this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Mario

4. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Not sure what this means :confused:

After you have plugged the camera in can you verify it is connected by clicking on the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray? If Windows has detected it then it will appear as an item in the list to disconnect from your PC.