1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DCR-HC16 Streaming to PC

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Chuuno, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Chuuno

Chuuno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I recently recieved a Sony DCR-HC16E as a birthday present, being new to this, I am having difficulty transferring images from my Camera to my PC, I have followed the instuctions supplied with the picture package and seem to get stuck once initial set up has been completed. (during this I can get images on screen but can't save them) Once the initial setup is complete the software stops the camera and nothing happens. I have looked at Sony's website without success. I have re installed the software which makes no difference. There appears to be information missing from the handbook. I am using a USB2 Connection and have the following questions if anyone can possibly help:

How do I get picture package to function? Any suggestions as to what I might be doing incorrectly or what info is missing from the manual.

I am using Picture package version 1 (i have checked that my version is the updated on) is this the correct software for my camera as the shop assistant got the disc from another camera box.

Do I have to use the Sony supplied software or are there any alternatives.
    If there are can you possibly recommend a decent user friendly package.
    Any suggestions as to what I am doing incorrectly.

Thanking You in anticipation

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    What are you trying to transfer to your PC - still images or video?

If still images then USB & the Sony software should do the job.
    If video then forget both of them. You need to connect via firewire. If running XP then you have Movie Maker that will do most of what you need.

Mark.

3. bumboarder

bumboarder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Chuuno,
    if you don't mind I am going to piggy back on your question.
    I was fortunate enough to get a Sony CC (HC 14e) as a surprise Xmas gift. It might not have been my choice if I had been purchasing & I may have done some research first but I have it now so will make the best of it.
    I also am having some probs with the Sony software so I think best thing is to ditch it & go for something else. I have XP Pro on PC & I understand that if I get a Video capture card I can use Windows movie maker to d/load & edit my movies & then burn them on to DV if I wish.
    If anyone reads this & would like to offer any other ideas I would be very grateful.

Thanks in anticipation.

4. bignairy

bignairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I also have a Sony mini-DV . The Sony software is absolutely rubbish - I have had much more success with Windows Movie Maker (XP version) and Nero 6 to convert, burn and copy.
    But don't uninstall Picture package or it seems to take the Sony drivers with it.
    You don't have to use Firewire, but Ive found the quality is much better than USB (over 10 times the bandwidth). You can get a Firewire card and lead for your PC for about £18 from CPC.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    USB will only give something like webcam quality as this is what USB (on a cam) and the supplied Sony software are designed for.

or about £10 from www.ebuyer.co.uk

Mark.

6. bignairy

bignairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    USB is a lot better than "Webcam" at about 2Mb/s. But Firewire allows 25Mb/s which gives full DV quality.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Depends on how good your webcam is!

The point of my previous post was to point out that USB can NOT be used to transfer full quality DV video to a PC. Many camcorders wont even allow low quality video transfer via USB, only still images.

Mark.

8. bignairy

bignairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not many webcams run at 2Mb/s - most people only have 512k broadband (those who have broadband at all), so webcam data rate is usually much less than this.
    But you are absolutely correct, the USB link is not even close in quality to a Firewire link.

9. Chuuno

Chuuno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big thanks to everyone who replied to my questions