Sony DCR-HC14E - how to transfer video to PC?

SkylineUK

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling to transfer 40 mins of old video footage from my retired Sony cassette-based DCR-H14E, as it contains the only video footage I have of my late Dad.

I have a Windows 7 64bit PC. I also have MoviePlusX6.
I've searched the threads here and Googled and made some progress. But still can't see how to transfer the video. I found out that Firewire was the way to go so just bought a cable and when I plugged the camera in and turned it on I got a popup saying a driver had been installed. In Control Panel/Device Manager/Imaging Devices there is an entry 'Sony DV Camcorder'.

But 'My Computer' doesn't show it. And it doesn't show up when I open MoviePlus and try to import media.

I did find the following entry on an obscure forum, which is why I bought a Firewire cable, but I can't follow what the poster means when he describes transferring the video. I know it has to be transferred in real time but how exactly? I haven't tried Windows Moviemaker yet as he describes, because I thought if MoviePlus can't do it then Movemaker probably can't either.

"Written on 10th Feb 2011.
On Windows 7 camerawill not be reckognised as storage device like on XP or elsewhere. For OSWindows 7 I advice I link cable, protocol IEEE 1394 for all cameras withcassete to conect to PC and set up function play-edit on camera.
Use Windows MovieMaker so that You go to first function left - chaptering from video device, andYou will have Your video chaptered on hard disc of Your computer in copleminutes. After that You can burn it to DVD with some programs like Nero orsimular, trial version on internet available. If You do not have Windows MovieMaker on Windows 7 so there is free download on internet."

All clues and contributions very gratefully received!

Firewire doesn't work like a USB device. You don't get an entry in Windows Explorer. You need to run some sort of DV capture software which is built into most video editing packages or you can use stand alone capture software.

Google Free DV Capture Software.

Thanks Graham. Would you believe it, I downloaded and installed 'Exsate DV Capture Live', got the recorder out again, plugged it in, turned it on, and this time no popup to stay it's there and nothing under Control Panel! All this only half an hour later. I'll try again later after a cold boot....
:mad::(

Edit: Ok, cold booted. Camcorder recognised in Device Manager as Imaging Device.
Launched Exsate DV Capture Live, it asked me to name the project, which I did, then I clicked 'Next' and it hung for a while. The a popup appeared saying 'External exception 800705AA'.
I feel I'm so close and yet so far....

Last edited:
I used to use Windows Movie Maker for my DV based Sony camcorder (PC10e).
Free download for Win 7 version here

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom