1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DB940 WARNING!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by markannis, Nov 24, 2001.

Tags:
  1. markannis

markannis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help!

Late last night I was listening to the radio on my Sony DB940, when suddenly the message WARNING WARNING! flashed up in the display.

Has anyone ever had this message on there amp before? The volume was very low and the amp is only about 6-8 month old...

This is the first time I have recieved a waring message, any idea what it could be....

I checked the manual but couldn't find any reference to this message. Please don't tell me it's on it's last legs already!

2. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used a STRDB940 heaps and currently own a STRDB1070 and have never seen this message.

I'll offer some guesses until the experts come along.

1 Heat build up
    2 Electrical (drain/surge/brown out)
    3 RDS storm warning transmission (you were on tuner ?)
    4 RDS song title transmition (what song was it ?)
    5 CD player song title (you got Sony S Link ?)
    6 RDS error (I did say they were guesses)
    7 Alien invasion (they'd steal Sony before any Denon crap)

I'm not surprised that the manual doesn't help you out much. Sony manuals (and customer service for that matter) are legendary.

Hope this helps some.

3. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    Craig Nike said "they'd steal Sony before any Denon crap." Perhaps you should read Stuart M Robinson's review of your Sony 1070 in issue 75 (December 2001) of Home Cinema Choice magazine where he gives all of two and a half stars for the sound quality of the 1070!! I don't recall seeing such a bad result for a major maufacturer for a long time.

Regards

Jim :D

4. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,916
    7 Alien invasion (they'd steal Sony before any Denon crap)

Take a look at HCC's own review of the Sony 1070 !!!

Me............ the proud owner of the Denon AVR-3802

5. markannis

markannis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions Craig,

The amp had been on all evening and the warning message appeared about quarter past midnight. I was in tuner mode listening to Radio 1. RDS was turned off...

The top of the amp didn't feel overly hot, but it had been on for 2-3 hours?

I have not seen the message again yet.

Regards

Mark

PS. The Aliens haven't visited yet either ;)

6. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 1070 doesnt sound that bad. Home Entertainment gave it Editors buy. its all down to the reviewers. Unless you spend thousands, can you really tell the difference. Im not changing my Sony just on one magazine. Fair enough if its every magazine( what hi fi is crap anyway)it should stick to just that HI FI!

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I disagree with Geoffc10 that the Sony 1070 doesn't sound "that bad" as I think that it sounds good and I upgraded from a warm sounding Yamaha.

Not only Home Entertainment but also Hifi Choice gave it a good rating leaving HCC out in the cold.

Perhaps as they have raved over the new Sony DVD players and DAV systems they felt that they ought to redress the balance a little otherwise people might think that they have become a soft touch.

Anyone living in the Midlands is more than welcome to come round and listen to mine and tell me whether it is shrill and raucous or not.

Regards

Ian

8. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am pleased with my 1070, I agree with the last post. I looked at the forums and made my choice of the 1070. Maybe what the magazines should do is try the amps with different brands of speakers??
    NOt everyone has M&k's

9. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I must say that I thought it a bit strange that the Sony 1070 received only two and a half stars after the rave reviews of all its recent predecessors (925, 930 and 940). Perhaps it was a rogue test unit? It would also be very interesting to hear what another HCC reviewer thought of it by way of comparison using different test sample. The concensus of opinion seemed to be that the recent Sony's didn't sound magnificent for stereo but were great with DD 5.1 etc. Surely Sony can't haven't stepped backwards as some of you seem delighted with the unit?

Regards

Jim:D

PS I still have my silver Sony 930 which is gathering dust since June purchase of Denon AVC-A1SE; anyone wanna buy it?

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Sony 1070 is due for review in the January edition of What Video & TV which should make for interesting reading as this mag is from same publisher as HCC.

Are we going to get the HCC review recycled or will it be a fresh look at the amp thus justifying spending £3.40 on the mag.

Ian

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,554
    A note here, Ian.
    Since several mags by wVip are physically in the same office it makes sense for them to review whatever gear they have to hand. This is broadly why you see the same kit reviewed in all the mags. The technical test results will be the same, of course, but the kit is reviewed by different people.

12. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's a case of expectations moving on. I use a Sony 940 and am delighted with it. I assume the 1070 is at least it's equal but maybe no better. I wouldn't expect the 940 to stand up against some of todays Denon's etc but that doesn't make it bad. I listened to a lot of amps when I chose mine and to my ears the difference you get for spending £800 instead of £400 is not enough to justify the extra. I decided to choose a flexible, powerful amp until I can afford a Tag or similar. Now that DID sound more expensive.

I'm sure anyone who buys the 1070 is likely to be fairly newish to 5.1 sound so they will be impressed anyway. Maybe after a year or so they wil start looing to improve.

S

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Paiger,

I have been into 5.1 for three or four years with an imported Pioneer DVD player passing through the six phono imput in my Yamaha amp until I upgraded a couple of months ago. I got into home cinema in the early nineties so I have been around a while.

I have been into hifi a little longer as I bought a Rogers Cadet amplifier in 1968 together with a Garrard turtable and Wharfedale speakers and bought a cassette player when they first came out - all this at a time when most people were still playing their LP's on their Bush radiograms.

The criticism by HCC of the Sony 1070 was not concerning it's processing which it described as good but it's overall sound quality.

I await the What Video review with great interest.

Ian

14. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jim, just step over here while I take that hook out of your mouth.

My comment was so silly that I just assumed all would take it for the toungue in cheeck that it was. Some people just cant read on screen humor. I thought the whole Alien thing might of tipped you off to the fact it was a joke.......

Thanks to all the Sony 1070 supporters, I certainly love mine. So does my mate who just upgraded from a 940 and thinks the 1070 is miles ahead.
    I was also very pleased about the EX & ES matrix decoding capability of the 1070 (which I wasn't expecting).

So getting back to Marks original posting, please let us know if you figure out what is going on.
    Although overheating was my firts thought, mostly receivers just shut down when they are overheated, rather than leave a little message.....
    I'd be very interested to know too.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Hi Craig,

I noticed that you were treading the boards. Aren't you supposed to be asleep now.

I think that most people realise that us 1070 owners need a sense of humour !!

Regards

Ian

PS GeoffC10 as well - that's 10% of all forum members on the boards at the moment.

16. TheBoyGUK

TheBoyGUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have a STR-DB925 - happened a few times - twice in one evening.

One of the radio stations started blaring out at a high volume - scared the crap out of me.

Got a DA50ES now - not had it here. Spoke to Sony at the time, but they hadn't got a clue (and going by my experience, it about sums up their service centre)

Warning!Warning! is supposed to come up when there is a national emergency broadcast - so maybe a bug in their firmware ?

I remember putting on the news then, expecting some sort of nuke strike !

G.
    (oh yeah - the poxy thing used to pick up french radio in the evenings sometimes - but I live west of london - not dover !)

17. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

I was making an assumption about most 1070 buyers being fairly new. It was new to me when I got my 940 and I was not confident enough to commit more money at the time. As I said, I am delighted with my 940 and for the money it's superb. I havn't heard the 1070 but would be very suprised if it was worse than the 940. At the end of the day I can live with my 940 for years if I have to but I've heard the Tag stuff and I REALLY REALLY WANT IT.

At the end of the day it's all down to personal taste and whats the point of spending a grand when a £400 amp sounds better to you. There are far to many snobs in HC. Another ace that Sony have is looks. My 940 and 735 DVD look great together and while that may not be important to most, it's a major consideration for me.

Steve

18. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No worries Craig! [​IMG]

Sorry I can't believe I was stupid enough to fall for that one and really believe there might be an Alien invasion to explain why the Warning message might have appeared. It sounded a perfectly plausible scenario to me. As you rightly say, some people really have no sense of humour!

Regards

Jim [​IMG]

19. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread is getting a bit long and off track but...

Ian - please excuse my ignorance but what does "treading the boards" mean assume it means looking through and doing some posting ?

Paiger - I have a 735 also - I agree, while many people are hesitant to admit that looks is important, I am very pleased with how good my QS Sony gear looks sitting together next to my VVEGA. When you spend a fair chunk of folding stuff on AV gear, you want it to look good !

In fact I ordered (and paid) for the 1070 3 months before it arrived in Oz and I had not even seen a picture........I was trusting in the force that Sony wouldn't screw up on the cosmetics of a QS product.

The 'Wife Acceptance Quotiant' is quite low when you talk about how good it looks though, so lets keep that quiet.

20. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's a theatrical expression and I belive that actors and actresses are said to be "Treading the Boards" when they are appearing on stage, performing plays, in theatres. If you are treading the boards on the HCC Forum it just means that you are logged in, browsing, posting and replying etc.

Regards

Jim:D

21. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I noticed that the January issue of "What Video & TV" gave the Sony 1070 four and a half stars for Sound Quality! If this is exactly the same machine as tested by HCC (as intimated by Spectre) what gives? The consensus of opinion in all the different reviews seems to come out at 4 or 5 stars for sound quality. Does Stuart M Robinson have funny (perhaps alien?) ears that may be different from the rest of us??:rolleyes:

Regards

Jim :p

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Essential Home Cinema gave the Sony 1070 five stars this month and Hifi Choice also rated it for stereo sound quality. I haven't managed to find What Hifi as of tonight but have been eagerly awaiting the review.

There can't be anything wrong with the HCC reviewer's ears as

"Stuart M. Robinson, founder and president of SMR Group, is one of the industry's most knowledgeable and respected home theatre, audio, video and technology freelance journalists."

That is a quote from Mr Robinson's own web site and therefore cannot be wrong can it ?

Ian

PS Upon further reflection and bearing in mind the thread elsewhere about "Chinese Whispers" there was a request for information on the Sony last week posted on the home cinema newsgroup and replies were posted not to buy the 1070 as it had been damned by the magazines.

Four positive reviews and one negative and the sour note is the one that remains in people's memories. Probably the only two stars that HCC has given recently and the second hand value of my purchase has halved immediately