1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DB925 Protection ON!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stammerman, Sep 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. stammerman

stammerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi!

I've had a Sony DB925 for the last few years which has given pretty good service, but now when I power on the amp, a message is displayed saying 'Protection on'. The manual states that this indicates a short circuit and that you must identify the short circuit to fix the problem.

I've pulled out all the cables, so I only have the power lead in, but still this message is displayed. Is it worth getting this fixed (they charge around £50 here in Sweden just to tell you what is wrong with it) or is now the time to replace it?

Cheers,

Martin

2. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I used to have one of those.
    I seem to rmember there being an "all reset" function which basically resets the CPU and all functions to the factory defaults. It might be worth trying that as a voltage surge or static discharge may have triggered the protection circuit.

3. stammerman

stammerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice John, but it hasn't fixed the problem. Looks like now's the time to replace it.....Cheers....Martin

4. coalfield

coalfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I am having some trouble with the same amplifer. The centre channel has dropped out and there is some unusual static coming from it when taking a DD input.

Does anyone know how to hard reset this amplifer as I am hopeing this will fix it :lease:

5. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem on my Sony db925 which to be honest served me well for over 5 years. The protection use to come up on mine when the subwoofer kicked in.

I tried turning it all down but it wouldnt have it. I cleaned, checked all the wires and it still would do it, so i guess its had its time.

However i can still use it on a low volume, but overall i think its time for a new amp!

Cheers