1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DB900 Too much of a compromise?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pcookie, Dec 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    After setting my sights on getting a Sony db795 after xmas, the recent spate of reliability problems people have experienced has finally began to put me off. At a visit to the local Sony Centre, my eyes fell upon the new db900.
    Very slim, very well constructed, very expensive! However I've seen it on the web at around £370, which I could stretch too if necessary.
    Now I've read 2 reviews on this amp. One excellent but shallow review and one not so excellent and detailed one (by Alvin Gold).
    In a nutshell, AG said the amp was very clean sounding, probably the best digital amp he had heard, but that ultimately it lacked guts when pushed.
    He also said something about it failing a firewall test, whatever that is(any ideas about this?).
    Does anybody out there have any experience of Sony's s-master amps. Do they lack guts? I'm not looking for something that will blow the house down as I'm going to be using Elac Cinema 1's.

Thanks as always, and a Merry Christmas to you all!

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    If you’re using Elac Cinema 1’s, I don’t think you’d have any issues with the amp. Although, I personally think that the Sony DB795 or Denon 1910 would be good enough. I haven’t heard of many reliability problems with the Sony, and if anything will go wrong it’s more likely that it will happen within the year when it’s covered anyway!