1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DB790 or Yamaha RX-V440?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jtwn, Jan 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jtwn

jtwn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im on a budget here and think that i will get either one of these, which would you all recommend?

Im looking more for the quality of the sound with decent bass to for music, cable and a load of SVCDs i have.

Or maybe a different reciever should i get?

Thanks, Im a bit new to all of this you see :)

2. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    The Sony amp is reviewd in the latest home cinema magazine and it was the best out of the 4 amps they reviwed.
    The others were
    Denon 1804,
    Marantz SR 4400,
    Onkyo tx-sr501
    jvc- rs-8032vsx

I have seen the sony amp for £200 and considering getting it myself but not sure if I should go for the sony, denon 1803 or 2802 or the pioneer VSX D812. My room is only 9ft by 9 and I want quality rather than loudness.
    I have an xbox, playstation 2, sky plus and dvd that i use via optical outputs.

3. jtwn

jtwn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah thanks, but now its between the db790, rx-v440 or 5640.

Any recommendations?

Ta

4. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Well the Sony I have seen for £200 if that helps and it is reviewd in the latest home cinema choice magazine.

5. gipo

gipo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the sony .It has far better connections and power but I dont know if it is up to much as the rxv440 got 5/5 in what hi-fi

6. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Owned the Sony now for a few weeks now. It was my first AV receiver and I am very impressed by the performance. In movies it excels, giving a really powerful yet refined soundstage, particularily on DTS soundtracks (Terminator 3 is astonishing)...

Its also suprisingly capable at 2 channel stereo. Having purchased a NAD 521i yesterday, and connected it to the Sony using a £30 stereo RCA, the reproduction and clarity of the sound is striking, particularily on heavy rock tracks (Korn etc). Acoustic tracks sound like the artist is sitting in the next room, it really is something...

I have no doubt a dedicated stereo amp, would improve (greatly?) on the sound, however I am very happy with the 790's abilities...

Like all Sony products, it looks slick, is very well built and as mentioned above, has numerous connections (only one I would have liked being included was pre-outs).

Highly recommended on both movie and music playback...

:)