1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony db780 outdated?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by shs, Mar 11, 2003.

Tags:
  1. shs

shs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have recently bought a pana th42pw5b and kefs, amp-wise was looking at denon 1803 / yam rx-v630rds / sony db780.

i was advised that although the sony doesn't have 6.1 it is basically the better amp than the yam (also i had wanted to run vid through the amp - simply for ease of use, which you can't with denon / yam)

is this just sales pitch / and is the sony really an out-dated machine now...?

any advice gratefully received - my first foray into home cinema!!!

shs

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The Sony is still (AFAIK) still a current model.

At the lower end of the market a lot of AV amps are still only 5.1 (not 6.1) but for many people this is sufficient. Certainly if the manufacturer only has a limited budget it can be spent on slightly better amps, etc if they only have to build in 5 amps rather than 6 or even 7.

Vikki

3. shs

shs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response Vikki. While I have snagged you, can I pick your brains as I am a novice in this world...... My worry is buying kit which is already a bit past its sell by, which in 2 years will be distinctly pre-historic.

In your opinion would i be better off forking out the extra 300 or so pounds to buy for example the Sony VA555ES or JVC DP10 which are more 'future-proof'. I am only hooking them up to DVD, Sky, Vid so i guess massive connectivity i don't really need right now. To be frank the price would hurt - am i just throwing cash around when the Sony is actually a good bet for what i need? Unlike the plasma / kefs i bought, i haven't heard it in action so working in the dark a bit........

thanks......!

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    If by "the KEF" speakers you mean Eggs, then the Sony (or the Yamaha 630 or Denon 1603 you meantioned) will suit you fine. The Eggs are very easy to drive. The Denon and Yamaha should let you switch Composite and Svideo signals like the Sony will.

I wouldn't buy the amp without listening though ... and listen with the Eggs as that are the speakers you have.

Vikki

5. shs

shs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks. much appreciated....