1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DB2000 reviews

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ShortNick, Jan 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ShortNick

ShortNick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Been trying to find a review of this amp as I am looking at upgrading to 6.1. Any links would be helpful. In addition, does it have separate L and R rear channels a la DTS ES or is it just a single centre rear. Cheers for any help.

2. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    No reviews of this product yet mate, however it does indeed do the following:

Dolby Digital EX/DTS-ES/DTS 96/24/DTS-Neo 6/Dolby ProLogic 2.

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  4. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Strange, the model down from the 2000, the DB790 has seperate L/R rear surround...

I definately know this, I own one :)

5. ShortNick

ShortNick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers folks. Looks like I'll have to check one out in person - probably a good idea anyway as I wouldn't want to buy one without hearing it first!

6. ultraman

ultraman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could you please give a short review after you buy this? i'm also interested in this amp

mainly for the 2 x component in
    and 4x digital/optical inputs!

7. itolson1

itolson1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the STR-db2000 in silver, i have owned yamaha, and various other sony amps, my bro has the denon 3802 as well for comparison.

imo, i would say that the str-db2000 is a step forward for sony, i have had the 790, 930, 1070 etc but decided to upgrade to the new SMASTER PRO... Sounds good.

Although the look has changed you do get used to it, gone are the buttons from hell behind a panel which almost everytime needed the manual pages to be ruffled, gone is the long display panel, also the remote has been downgraded to a non lcd remote....

who no i hear you say, but the new one although lacking in the looks dept is supprisingly usable, even swopping into different brand mode, i.e Toshiba works fine...

anyway back to the amp, i have a mission m5as b&w speakers all round and a sony 930 dvd player, the volume ranges frm - 30 db to + 15 db, after listening or feeling badboys 2 at +6db i can say that this is deffo a step forward in technology, even at the high end of the volume scale the calrity seems to be intact, the sub was been driven nicely, and the whole room had an pinch of earthquake about it....

the amp has component and s-video switching, only 2 inputs for the component though, 1 for xbox and one for dvd thats it.

the optical inputs are adequate, 4 optical 1 coaxial, you also get the extra rear surround speaker ourput if required.

compared to the denon, my bro has the same speaker setup bar the fronts i have the 302s3 he has the 302 s4 i think, although we didn't compare side by side there was not alot in it, so value for money the sony wins....

put faith in sony, there 1080 had 5 stars, the 790 got the same, and the 2000 has the new features so just go and buy one...

demo it if you must, but for £380.00 mail order you will struggle to find a better amp for the money...

my 10 pence worth...

8. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, it's a nice piece of kit. I have one in my office and it sounds good for the money. I use mine mainly for the Xbox but often listen to music via the PC and it's well up to the job, unlike many AV receivers.

The only critisism I would have is that the build doesn't feel as solid as say a 930 or 940. It's probably fine but it feels more like a lower end Pioneer to handle. Anyway, it's a great little amp and one to consider with the featres it has.

9. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  10. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Does the 2000 have a 6 channel output please? Some sites say yes whilse others say no. I know the 5000 doesn't.

11. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you mean 6 channel amplified output(i.e. to speakers) or 6 channel pre-out for power amps?

I'm sure the answer to both of these will be yes.

12. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0