1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DB1080 problem. please help.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by deniewibly, May 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. deniewibly

deniewibly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all

I'm new here but am hoping one of you can help me. I have a DB1080 that I haven't used for a while. I also have an 18 month old son who has really enjoyed pressing all the buttons on it over the past few months!!

Anyway, I came to watch a surround movie tonight and all I can get is 2 channel stereo. I have held down the power button and done the reset but no joy. Even when I press test tone it only tests front L & R.

Soooo frustrating, i've gone through everything I can think of. I press Auto Decode and all it gives is 2 channel, I can't select any form of surround mode.

I also notice it says Stream Direct on the display upon power up. Any ideas? The manual is useless.

:-(

Dene

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    And the setting on the DVD player haven't changed?

3. deniewibly

deniewibly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had a look at all that and it seems OK. I've since noticed that the decoder sees that there is a 5.1 signal going in the display shows 3/2.1 -> 2.0 as if it knows it's a surround signal but refuses to process it. I connected the optical on my Sky box with a DD movie and it does the same :-(

D

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Are you sure you reset the amp ,what did you press other than the power button.
    Does the display show 3/2.1 and > 2.0 at the same time ,if it does it looks like its converting the 5.1 into stereo.

5. deniewibly

deniewibly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Bob. To reset, I turned off the amp and then held down the power button. It then said "clear all" so I pressed enter and it cleared the memory. Are you aware of any other thing to try? Have you ever seen this 3/2.1 and > 2.0 thing before?

Thanks for your input. much appreciated.

D

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    It looks like the reset was done right ,i have never seen 3/2.1 -> 2.0 on the display at the same time but i have seen 3/2.1 and 2.0 ,3/2.1 being 5.1 and 2.0 being stereo.
    Can you clarify that the display is showing 3/2.1 -> 2.0 .

7. deniewibly

deniewibly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yes mate, it shows exactly that. I have never seen it until the other day and it has always worked perfectly. I suspect it is a fault but was hoping it was something simple :-(

D

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I does seem strange and you would think its a fault as you have done a reset, what makes it more strange is that its doing exactly as its saying on the dispay and converting 5.1 into stereo.When i get chance i will have a play with my amp and see if there is such a setting.

9. deniewibly

deniewibly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Something else I just noticed (yeah, i'm still playing with it ;-) is that when I power up the amp with no signal going through it, I just get (unlock) on the display. So is it locked or something? I've tried pressing enter at this but nothing happens. Any ideas?

10. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    :confused: I'm totally lost i can't get mine to do anything like that ,it would seem that something is wrong with the amp,i would contact sony and see if they know what the problem could be.

11. carl1234

carl1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My sony amps have Two romote control frequency modes so you can use two sony products with the same remote an not affect the other this can be changed in the amps setup munu it could be called AV 1 or AV 2. Could it be possible that in the speaker set up centre and sourround speakers have been turned off when this happens the amp digitally downmixwes to 2 channel. and when you reset do you reset to factory settings or the sound field setting Also 3= the 3 front channels, 2= the rear channels and the .1 = the sub. and the unlocked means no signal is being sent to the amp using the coaxial cable, if you press input mode and select auto this should go. Hope this helps.

12. MegaTum

MegaTum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you know if the disk you are playing is MPEG format? (The MPEG icon will be illuminated in the display if it is.)

The manual goes on to say the following:

"Only the front 2 channels are compatible with MPEG format. Multi channel surround sound is downmixed and output from the front 2 channels."

13. wkd90

wkd90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a quick??? does anyone know a site where i can buy a new remote for the 1080,my son spilt juice all over it&no longer works!dont really want to claim on insurance

14. carl1234

carl1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    there is a sony spare parts phone number to call, i cant remember it but it should be on the sony site.

15. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Did you manage to work out what is wrong with your 1080? Mine has the same fault:lease:
    I would be grateful if you can pass on any info on this fault.
    [​IMG]

Cheers Malcolm

16. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Here is the display I get when playing "Knights Tale"
    [​IMG]
    Do i just need to give it a good thump or the Missus as she broke it..:rotfl:

17. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    What happens when you press the auto decode button?

18. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Nothing....all buttons locked

Just this minute dropped off to Sony (Farnborough) for repair.
    £35 inspection fee discounted off final bill.

Faults reported: low volume earth buzz and 2 channel fault (no surround)

Keep you posted on the result, expected 2-3 days:smashin:

19. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The auto decode button would fix this if it was working ! - The light is on above the 2 channel; stereo button so the amp is converting to stereo.

So the problem really is why are the buttons locked - I hope you get it sorted.

The low volume buzzing/hum through the speakers though is something I experienced.

I took 2 sony 1080's back to superfi with this problem and fortunately the 3rd one was fine and had no buzz what so ever.

It was reported at the time as a design fault and there were anumber of threads on it. Some suffered from it and some didnt.

Thought this info may be of help to you ;)

20. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Hope its sorted out for you ,i wander if the earthing problem is linked to the other fault.

21. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My first STR1080 was replaced by EmpireDirect after getting the buzzing fault and replaced with this brand new unit 2 years ago.

Hopefully I should get a few more years of service out of the unit once it is repaired.

Will post on here the results from the engineers report.

22. deniewibly

deniewibly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

Just revisted this thread. I originally took my amp into the Sony Centre and it came back 'no fault found' Checked it in the shop and it was working perfectly. Brought it home and all was well there too!! So it's been perfect for the past 6 weeks or so and I turn it on tonight and back the old problem. So it seems intermittent. No chance of getting it fixed before Xmas now. I'd be really interested in the fault report you get back. Please can you keep up posted.

cheers

Dene

23. Doggie750

Doggie750
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This would be my Christmas gift to you........

I had the same problem with my sony1070........
    There are Input mode and Audio Split buttons located next to the MVolume Knob.... make sure the setting are correct like if you are running optical/ coax cable, set it to auto mode. Also make sure your 2nd room has no source picked. All you have to do is tweak it out and mess around with it.....I can assure you THERE IS NOTHING wrong with the receiver......I wish I could explain it to you step by step but I am not at home right now......sorry. I hope that helps............

Good lUCK..

24. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I had a phone call from the Sony engineer today.

2 Channel Fault:
    Same story, engineer could not find anything wrong with the 2 channel fault and buttons all being locked, they tried to tell me that my speaker selection switch was in the wrong position, Not.... I told him to check it again as I was not happy.

Low level buzz fault:
    Funny that the amp has had this fault for several months now but when I take it in for repair it vanishes.
    He could not find this fault either:eek: maybe it magically cured itself, funny that Sony would never admit to a manufacturing fault?

But he did offer me a modification kit for this model of receiver (heatsink+controller) at £85 for this model with buzzing noises (which mine apparently hasn’t got).
    I told him to go ahead but now it rules out any chance of having until next year sometime:(

If anyone from Sony Public Relations is reading this thread how about a part exchange deal on a new amp considering this is my 2nd 1080 and this is now faulty, or better still do the repair for free.

Will post here what happens and when I get the amp back.

25. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My STR1080 receiver has been factory reset and all settings cleared and reset and still has the same fault with the 2 channel selection and all buttons not responding to inputs.
    My settings have not been changed for months as I am the only user of this amp, So i am sure that my unit has a fault. I wish you were right but i have read the manual back to front 3 times and checked all connections, all are as they always were before the fault occured.

Could you post your finding on here for deniewibly to go through.

Thanks for your input.

26. deniewibly

deniewibly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yeah, it's definitely a fault i'm pretty sure of it. Like Malford I have tried absolutely everything. I'm concerned that it may be playing a DTS disc that has caused it. Since I had it working again i'm pretty sure I haven't played anything with a DTS soundtrack until tonight when I got a new DVD and tried it (when the fault re-occurred)

it's a weird one.

Dene

27. deniewibly

deniewibly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, I sat down with the damn thing today and wondered what I could do to fix the intermittant fault. Then it just happened......The speaker switch was set to A+B, i'd noticed this before and just thought it was fine on that setting. I turned it to A and suddenly the Auto Decode kicked in and I was back in glorious 6.1. YAY!!! So, i'm not sure if this is the same for others who have this problem as it seems such a simple solution. Looks like I have my 2 year old son to thank for this little drama. Have a great Christmas all, hope I get some nice new DVD's now :thumbsup:

28. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I have tried it any your right ,put the switch to A+B an all you get is stereo,well done:thumbsup:

29. Doggie750

Doggie750
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:
    Malford, I hope your receiver is set correctly now.......!!!!
    wish you luck.........

30. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Send it in for repair, mine works great now. I picked up today (06/01/2006) my STR1080 from a Sony repair shop in Farnborough after sending it in for 2 problems:

No surround / 2 channel only

Low level buzzing noise after 10 minutes of use

Engineers report as follows:

Unit checked 2 channel only when speakers are switched to A+B all other modes are available when switched to A or B.
    Buzz did not occur on test but there is a Sony bulletin to replace regulator & upgrade heatsink.
    Replace regulator & upgrade heatsink. Reassemble & check all modes

Labour 62.50
    Parts 10.78
    Vat 12.82
    Total Cost for repair: £86.10

Very happy with service I got from Sony repairer, communications were perfect and they kept me informed all the way through the procedure.

Im glad to have the amp back as it is such a great piece of kit. The buzzing noise has disappeared which means I am now able to listen to low level classical music without the annoying buzz in the background. The surround modes have returned (Doggie750, think you may have been right, this could have been my mistake with the speaker selector :( )