Sony DB1070 question.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dAvE6, Sep 7, 2001.

Tags:
  1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive recently bought this, and it seems great. sometimes dialougue isnt so great to the centre speaker. (B&W CC6).

but when i was fiddling with the menus i found an option to turn OFF dolby pro logic. i use the cinema EX B sound field as i believe it is by far the best. when pro logic option is turned off the sound sounds MORE surround, dramatic and has a greater quality to it with more weight. why on earth is this?! even when playing CD'S it produces a surround sound which sounds better. my guess is that it uses less power as it dosnt have to give sound to an extra channel. i think this as when its ON the display has a little box with an S in it. is this intended for 6:1 or something? my rears are to my side anyway so i dont need any rear sound. i have yet to try it on a dvd yet, but tv, game and CD all sound better.

if anyone has any idea then please help. thanks. any other tipe for my set up will be gratefully recieved also.

<br />DB1070 amp.<br />2 B&W 601 front speakers.<br />1 B&W CC6 centre speaker.<br />2 B&W 3 series rear speakers.<br />1 yamaha 100W sub.

<br />thanks.

2. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 1070 also and have just tried this. It seems to me that what is happening is that once you trun the Logic Decoder off - the 1070 just sends the full range of sound to all 6 speakers. I noticed that my rears were playing all noises including all diologue.<br />It does sound good - but a little echoy for me.

I totally agree that Cinema EX B is by far the best format. I will say though that it does muffle the centre front by 10%. I noticed this in Jurrasic Park where the Trex first gets through the fence and is growling through the car windows. In standard 5.1 you can really hear the breakup in the growl. In ExB it is still great but a little more combined.

Tell me Dave what remote control did you get there ? Here is Oz I got RM-LP205. My friend with an old STRDB940 has a higher spec remote ?

Overall I love the 1070 - the only thing I'd change is to add Component Video in/out.

3. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks. i have the remote where it lights up with a cool LCD screen. its the easiest remote ever. i have no idea what model number it is.

since i posted this topic, i dont use cinema B anymore. your right, it does send sound to all channels. its quite echoey and dvd's cant use it with pro logic off anyway. owever for music and possibly games it can be ideal. my problem was that i have a CC6 centre speaker and im not happy with its sound quality and richness. so i turned to my amp to see if i could make it better, but maybe it just needs to be run in. ive heard it can take 50+ to really sound great.

4. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The model number is written on the front of your remote. Should be on the bottom left hand side.

I'd still like to know if your able to tell me.<br />Thanks

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've turned off Dolby Prologic and co0uldn't hear any differences...

6. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the same model number as yiou craig. but i love it.