1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DB1070 or another???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by neil malde, Mar 15, 2002.

Tags:
  1. neil malde

neil malde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there,

I was just wondering whether this amp was ok with my new B&W series 3 speakers. Are there any better amps out there for a similiar price £500-£700, that will provide a better sound/performance...

thanx,
    neil

2. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I had a Sony 940, which I loved.
    Recently replaced it with a Denon 2802 (£470), and now I realise what surround sound is meant to be like!

'Clarity' and 'steering' are the words of the day.
    Decent remote and champagne gold aren't. ( I am know having to make the change from Silver coloured system to a gold coloured one)

Also, proper DTS ES discrete, which I don't think the 1070 does.
    Go for 3802 if you can stretch to it.

Don't know how they match 3 series, but can't see a problem.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,478
    don't ask the same question in more than one subject topic, as i also see this question in the Speakers section.

4. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have different speakers, but I upgraded from the Sony 940 to the 1070 and noticed a nice increase in sound quality and features.

I am very haoppy with this amp. The Denon 2802 would seem like the logical copmpetitor, just a little more expensive. The Sony has Matrix decoding for DD & dts, whereas the Denon has discrete.

Both have 6 channel amplification.

5. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
  6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can get the sony str-va555es for £720.00 @ robert white, its brilliant.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have £700 to spend,you have to go for the 3082.It's got to be the class leader under a grand

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was to the point

9. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I auditioned the 3802 and the sony va555es the sony outclassed the denon in build, quality, and musicality. the treble on the denon is rounded off. one point on class, the sonys terminals are all gold plated it has front a.v. inputs and a bigger power transformer:)

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the general opinion in the mags and forums, is that the 3082 is above any of the sony av amps. I would go for the 3082 every time .

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    For examples of Robert Whyte's after sales service use the search facility and then find someone else to buy from

12. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from sound and vision. btw sean I didnt go on opinions I auditioned both amps and chose the sony.

13. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wake up Judge :) the comparison moved from the 1070 to the STRDA555 Sony.

Everybody is aware the 3802 beats the 1070. They are not ni the same price league.

Although the 555 & the 3802 are. Denon makes better recievers than Sony - what a loaded comment :)

I suppose you'll tell me you'd have a 1802 before a STRDA555 next ?

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all your attentions, I do believe that Richers are banging out the Sony 555ES for £499 now, as well as the 777ES for £599 (you read that last one right).

Mike.

15. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Neil, we've sort of highjacked your original question.
    Whenever a brand vs brand thing comes up it gets out of hand - the Denon boys are desperate to convince everybody of their greatness :)

The 1070 is a fine machine (esp for the price) consider the 2802 at a little more money. If you can step up to the next bracket the Sony VA555ES (lately replaced by the STRDA5ES in the US and Oz) and the 3802 are the ducks guts.

They are also the point of no return in the law of diminishing returns (IMHO) on how much money to spend.

IanJ is very knowledgable (for a Brit) and recently upgraded from a 1070 (once proud owner... turncoat!) to a Kenwood or Onkyo (I forget, sorry IanJ).

Have a search for his topics and he exlpains why - again it is the next price point up I thinK.

Hope this helps.

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I myself have a sony930, but i would say that denon makes on the hole better receivers then sony,and most of the knowledgeable members on this site would agree with that. Ian sold his 1070 because he was not that impressed by it's 2 channel capability's, and told me himself (hope you don't mind jonners) that he wanted the 3082, but was proving hard to get hold of, so he went for a marantz . My advice would be to go for the 3082 above both sony's mentioned.

17. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the amp I got is the new sony str-va555es, 6 chanels pro-logic 11 etc. the ome that richer are selling off is the old v555es which is a 5 chanel amp and no pl11.

18. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Neil since you already have this amp
    , from your post in the speakers section, why are you seeking opinion as to whether it is any good with your new speakers.I think you may have misled people into believing you were considering purchasing one.

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Neither it was a Marantz 6200 which I think is much better in two channel and creates a better soundfield in 5.1

I am not impressed with PL2 or circle surround but think that there may be a fault on the amp.

The Sony is more flexible to set up with various crossovers selectable, which could be advantageous with sub / sat systems whereas the Marantz has a fixed crossover which doesn't suit my sub sats which is why they are about to go.

20. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I recently bought the Pioneer VSX-909RDS which is a great amp in my opinion and very underrated. It is THX Ultra certified and decodes THX EX and DTS ES (you do need an outboard power amp for the two extra channels though). It more than holds it own as far as music goes but with movies it really does put in a fine performance matching (in my mind) the 3802 easily. And the best thing? Even though you can still buy this amp at the RRP of £875, you can with a bit of shopping around get it for a LOT less and I mean £400-£500 less!!! Worth a listen :D

All the best

Dave