1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DB 940 Settings..... Please HELP!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andyp, Oct 19, 2001.

Tags:
  1. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'd really appreciate some advice on a problem I seem to have with my system.

My system consists:-

Sony DB 940 AV amp
    Sony S725D DVD player (linked to TV via RGB Scart, and to amp via digital co-axial)
    B&W 602 S2 fronts, 601 S2 rears & CC6 centre (fronts and centre are bi-wired)
    No sub-woofer

The problem appears to be my front stereo speakers not being able to handle to low frequency stuff. I have the rears and centre set to ‘small' and the fronts to ‘large'. Most of the time I have the ‘bass boost' on as well.

Today I played the pod racing scene from Star Wars TPM, and with the volume set to only ‘3' the front stereo speaker cones were almost jumping out! At this setting and slightly higher, the cones were making a kind of ‘flapping' noise, I assume this to be clipping (?).

The problem goes away if I switch ‘bass boost' off or set them to ‘small', but then I get hardly any decent low frequency stuff.

It also only seems to be particularly bad with this disc, with the exception of the Malaysian ‘copies' of Star Wars TPM, and the Star Wars Trilogy. I just assumed it was the poor quality sound track causing the problem on these titles.

I can't believe that it is a speaker power handling issue, setting ‘3' is hardly cranked up!!

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Andy P.

2. markannis

markannis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked the menu setting for cross-over on the fronts speakers - maybe this needs to be lowered. Could be that the Amp is cutting out all the good low end stuff?

I can't remember the default crossover setting on the Sony 940 but it could be quite high especially if you have the Amp set-up with the sub setting turned on?

3. logiclee

logiclee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Andy,

The problem is the bass boost function being turned on. The Sony directs bass from the centre and rears to your fronts because these are set to small and also any LFE info is sent to your fronts as sub is set to NO. All this bass is then being boosted by the amp, its no wonder the fronts are struggling with a heavy bass track.

When I use the bass boost on my Sony the bass is well overblown and the system loose all clarity. I may be telling you how to suck eggs but are you sure your speakers are all in phase? Maybe why you are down on bass.

Lee

4. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the replies guys, here's some more detail about my set-up:-

Front stereo pair (B&W 602 S2): 'Large' & bi-wired.

Centre channel (B&W CC6 S2): 'Small' & cross-over set to 90Hz & bi-wired.

Rear stereo pair (B&W 601 S2): 'Small' & cross-over set to 90Hz & NOT bi-wired.

I have checked out all speaker phases to be OK.

As it happens, I spoke to Sevenoaks S&V where I bought my speakers, about this. He said there was probably nothing wrong with my set-up, apart from having the bass-boost on, it is the fact that TPM DVD, especially the pod racing scene, has a lot of low frequency stuff, and he wasn't surprised that my 602's were struggling!! Obviously he then suggested I buy a sub!! ;-)

Andy P.

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course you need a subwoofer, there is no way your front speakers can handle LFE, worst with bass boost, even a cheap sub will help, they are prepared to handle that, then set all your speakers to small as they should be, and you wont believe the difference in sound quality, and not only bass...

6. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    also check to make sure you have the dynamic range set to off.this will take away your bass an it will be to much if you switch bass boost on

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Easy one this,I have the 925 a similer amp, leave your mains set to large and go to setup and then cursor mode go up until you come to LFE feed, default is 0db which is full base to the mains in Dolby Digital, try setting to -3 it worked with my Tannoy m3's, your 602's should sound great but obviously they cant handle the full LFE feed in Dolby Digital, get as close to 0db as possible without your speakers loosing control.

Let us know how you get on.

8. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This won't exactly help you but those scenes seems alright with my Yam A5 and KEF Q55.2s, i'm more than happy with it. But yes a sub is the way to go to make the most of LFE.