• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony DAVSC8 Problems

P

presenter100

Guest
OK, first post, Ive looked round the forum and can't see any other thread to do with this... so!

Sony Home Cinema DAVSC8

Had several problems with it crashing during playback of DVD's powering down and ejecting and leaving it seemed to help. Just had to take it in to be looked at because a DVD is stuck in it, will not eject and controls will not work. All that can be done is change the function. If you hit standby "STANDBY" flashes on the front panel, you have to power down to cancel this.

Anyone had the same or similar, is it a known fault etc?
 
D

Dave_davsc8

Guest
I am having problems with the our DAV-SC8, were on our second unit which has just packed up as well. Will not eject CD same thing happens with DVD's will not shutdown from remote control or front panel buttons, will not eject the disc either from the remote or front panel. The sound processing functions still work i.e. TV and DAB tuner through the Scart socket. If the unit has been used for the Tuner or TV then it has to be shut down by unplugging it.

The local Sony Centre took the first unit in and after 4-5 weeks telephoned to day they were replacing the unit, with no explanation of the fault or its cause. The unit gets used for DVD about one a month and CD's 3-4 times a week. There are no small kids to shove anything into the unit. The unit sits on a glass shelf on a Sony TV unit plenty of air circulating so heat is not the issue

Sony Centre told me that they don't exchange units unless they have been back for repair three times. Frankly I expected more from Sony this unit was purchased for £800 as part of £2000 purchase. I am disapointed in the level of customer care after buying from a Sony Centre and paying full price.

Anyone else had problems with these units or Sony Customer Service:mad:
 
P

presenter100

Guest
Dave_davsc8 said:
I am having problems with the our DAV-SC8, were on our second unit which has just packed up as well. Will not eject CD same thing happens with DVD's will not shutdown from remote control or front panel buttons, will not eject the disc either from the remote or front panel. The sound processing functions still work i.e. TV and DAB tuner through the Scart socket. If the unit has been used for the Tuner or TV then it has to be shut down by unplugging it.

The local Sony Centre took the first unit in and after 4-5 weeks telephoned to day they were replacing the unit, with no explanation of the fault or its cause. The unit gets used for DVD about one a month and CD's 3-4 times a week. There are no small kids to shove anything into the unit. The unit sits on a glass shelf on a Sony TV unit plenty of air circulating so heat is not the issue

Sony Centre told me that they don't exchange units unless they have been back for repair three times. Frankly I expected more from Sony this unit was purchased for £800 as part of £2000 purchase. I am disapointed in the level of customer care after buying from a Sony Centre and paying full price.

Anyone else had problems with these units or Sony Customer Service:mad:

Sounds EXACTLY the same fault.. I mainly use mine for sound processing from sky+ box via the digital in. DVD's once a month and the occational CD. The Unit is powered down when not in use, and sits on the shelf next to the TV unrestricted.

I will wait and see what happens when the repair is complete.

Didnt pay as much as you, but a warranty is a warranty!

Didn't even go back to the place I got it just called sony. talking of which never call them on their 08705 111999 number....01635 869 500 and ask for customer service... it's the same place!

As for where I got it,,, http://www.electrical-shopping.com/hes/ for £447.00
 
K

Kent

Guest
I have the same problem with my Sony DAV-SC8, bought in Denmark, October 2004.

The problems began about a month ago. At times the display on the dvd suddenly freezes, but with the dvd movie still running and not responding to any actions on the remote control or the front panel buttons. The problem usually arises after about 3-4 hours viewing. It won´t eject, pause or stop. The only thing I can do is shut the system off.
Other times the movie just suddenly freezes and can´t continue at all, and again the remote and front panel buttons don´t work.
I sometimes have to leave the power off for several hours, before being able to eject the dvd.
I´m taking the system back to the store tomorrow, where I bought it, so they can send it in, to get the problem fixed. I know that the DAV-FC9 has the same problem. I paid 7.999.00 danish kroner for my DAV-SC8.
 
P

presenter100

Guest
Keep us posted, I should know in the next 10 days whats happening with mine

I found that some dvd's wouldn't play in it, but are ok in my cheap Wahfdale DVD player from Tescos thats 5 years old!

Ive had sony products for 20 years and never had a problem. My Sony Video has just died after 11 years of heavy use (with new heads in about 6 years ago)

Thank god for Sky+!!!
 
K

Kent

Guest
My first problem with a sony product, too! Handed mine in today, so guess we´ll just have to wait and see what they come up with.
Punched into AV Forum´s archive, where I found several others with the same problem. Also other Sony DAV type systems. Guess Sony´s made a bad batch!
Will keep you posted.
 
D

dellaware

Guest
My DAV-SC8 locked up within one month of buying it. Repaired within a couple of days although Currys didn't call me when it was returned to them, and I only found out it was in the shop when I went there three weeks after putting it in.

Works fine now.
 
D

Dave_davsc8

Guest
Left my unit into Sony Centre, usual thing goes back to repair centre, they will decide, it didn't seem to help that they couldn't find any records of having replaced it last year. When we protested they gave me a DAVSC5 a replacement unit until Sony decides what to do. Interesting there is another thread on this board where a faulty chip is thought to be the cause. http://www.avforums.com/forums/printthread.php?t=139322&page=2&pp=15
 
P

presenter100

Guest
Dave_davsc8 said:
Left my unit into Sony Centre, usual thing goes back to repair centre, they will decide, it didn't seem to help that they couldn't find any records of having replaced it last year. When we protested they gave me a DAVSC5 a replacement unit until Sony decides what to do. Interesting there is another thread on this board where a faulty chip is thought to be the cause. http://www.avforums.com/forums/printthread.php?t=139322&page=2&pp=15

THAT'S VERY INTERESTING, I'M CALLING THE REPAIR CENTRE TOMORROW. THEY HAVE HAD THE UNIT 14 DAYS, THE TIME THEY SAID IT WOULD TAKE, SO I WILL REPORT BACK WHAT THEY SAY. WHEN I TOOK THE UNIT IN THE GUY SAID HE HADN'T HAD ANY OTHER DAVSC8'S IN!
 
K

Kent

Guest
Got my Sony DAV-SC8 back from the repair shop 3. march 2005. All that the invoice said, was it had been "checked and tested". They apparently hadn´t fixed the problem, as it occured again after a few hours of use.
Damn irritating! I´ve now taken it back, once again, this morning.
 
D

Dave_davsc8

Guest
:mad: :mad: Sony Centre left a message to say they were waiting for a part to repair my unit and that it would take 10 days after the part arrived, with no indication when that might be. They have had the unit now for 4 weeks. They gave no indication of what the fault was either. Time to go and hassle the Sony Centre Manager again, perhaps time to send the new chairman of Sony an email or two!!. The unit has been in for repair for 2.5 months in the last 15 months. I have Technics kit here thats close on 12 years old and it funtions perfectly!!!
 
P

presenter100

Guest
Finally it's been fixed. I called today to ask if it was done, it is.... will post the fixed problem when I get it back later today!
 

thewul

Active Member
hi folks,
its a common fault i`m afraid
you will need an AV decoder IC replacing then all should be well :)

it affects the sc5 and sc8 :(
 
P

presenter100

Guest
Description of the part replaced.... ZIVA5X-C1F IC206

ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT WAS???
 

thewul

Active Member
presenter100 said:
Description of the part replaced.... ZIVA5X-C1F IC206

ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT WAS???

yep as above its an AV decoder I.C
the chip that deals with the mpeg decoding
all should be well now :thumbsup:
 
K

Kent

Guest
Got my system back again on the 17. March. Have used it frequently over the past 3 days. No problems so far. Isn´t as hot on the top, as it was before, when it was in use. The previous problem, did however, begin after a few months of use!
Description of part replaced: 1 IC 206
 
K

Kent

Guest
Seems as if we´ve had a similar replacement, presenter 100.
Thanks thewul. Sure hope you´re right, as I think it´s a great system, as long as it´s working.
 
P

presenter100

Guest
Yep, mine has been fine for the last week or so since getting it back. Over used the DVD to see if it's ok, I would go as far as saying it's better than when I had it. I played 3 dvd films one after another on Easter Sunday as a test, yes it got hot, but all played fine.

It's powered up most of the time too as I have my Sky+ going in via the fibre optic and wouldn't be without it.

Finally, I was supprised the region crack was still working when it was returned. I thought they would have done a system reset and removed it, but my US imports work just fine!

Hoping this is the end of the situation cus I too love it! :thumbsup: :smashin: :D
 
D

Dave_davsc8

Guest
Got mine back last week, its working but awaiting detailed report from Sony.
 

Dave Sully

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

I have the same problem!

I am glad I found this thread.

I have just disconnected my unit, and when i power it on dvd comes up on the display the it goes blank.

I can still change the function to another input and the volume and everythign else seems to work.

I only use it for audio anyway, my xbox & xbox 360 are both hi def-

oh i forgot, my cable tv does go through video 1.

I never use it for dvd, since i watch dvd`s on my 360, so I am wondering if I can still use it?

yes, it never turns off properly, it just flashes standby until i disconnect from the mains - whoch is most inconvienent!

i am gonan hook it up and see if i can still use it and then drop a mail to the local repair center to see how much it will cost to get my ZIVA5X-C1F IC206 replaced!
 

Dave Sully

Standard Member
All Hooked up again, I am not using the SC8 for any video,
buy it still works fine as a audio amp.

will let ye know how i get on with the repair shop
 

rob99

Well-known Member
Had the same problem with my SC6 it was 2 years old ,so didn't think it was worth repairing ,put the speakers on ebay and bought a Panasonic ht855 instead:thumbsup:
 
P

presenter100

Guest
So you know, once it's fixed you shouldnt have any more problems

I started this thread 18 months, or so ago.

It's been running just fine after they fixed this "known problem"

Very happy with it both as a 5.1 connected to sky+ box and as a DVD player, Ive also chipped it to make it multi region, and it plays anything, just fine.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom