1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAVS888

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by cliveg, Sep 5, 2003.

1. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

Anyone tell me what the new Sony DAVs888 is like? Can only find 2 reviews on the net, both of them quite good.

I'm just a little wary in going ahead, as I've seen some reviews on the previous model - DAVS880 - that weren't very complimentary!

Any advice from anyone?

Thanks and regards,

CliveG

2. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on the DAVS888 other than to say I believe it to be overpriced when compared to the Panasonic SC-HT 900 I have just bought, (typically around £100 more) Both system are similarly specified (the SC-HT900 being the better specced) but one offers DVD Audio (Panasonic) and the other SACD If you have a specific need for SACD playback then the Sony is the way to go other wise get the Panasonic

3. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DAVS888 is essentially the 880 but with an active sub as opposed to the original passive one. My mother has an 880 which is fine for movies but pants with prologic2 and music - largely due to the feeble sub. The active unit in the 888 should be a big step forward, but something inside of me says 'dont bother'. Fiddly to use, sluggish remote, just not as good as it looks....