Sony DAVS880 vs Denon AVR1803 + KEF KHT2005

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by bobthebuilder, Feb 17, 2003.

1. bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently in the process of deciding speaker system and receiver I should buy. I have narrowed it down to the Sony DAVS880 and the Denon AVR1803 + KEF KHT2005.

I am currently edging towards the DAVS880 since it looks damn good and the DVD player has progressive scan (or so that I have read). It is also the cheaper of the two setups. Please note that since I am getting a Philips DVDR890, the fact that the DAVS880 comes with a DVD player is just an added bonus, so if I do go down the separates road I will not buy an extra DVD player.

What do you guys think of my decision?

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Go to sleep, wake up, buy separates, forget about 880 :smoke:

3. bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I demoed the two systems I thought that there was very little between the two. Since I won't be upgrading the system till I buy a new home cinema, I don't think upgradability is paramount.

But then I don't know what to listen for in speakers. I will be going again tomorrow with people who know what they're talking about.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Marantz SR5300 + KEF KHT2005.

The past weekend I had a quick demo of the Sony DAVS880. Nice compact system, easy to set up, I like the style of it.:cool:

Sound-wise? Personaly I think there is not comparison. If you can afford it, buy AVR1803 + KEF KHT2005.

Another valid option can be:

Marantz SR5300 + KEF KHT2005 :D or
    Sony 630 + KEF KHT2005

with Toshiba 220

5. bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

I went to get the two systems demoed again by somebody who knows what they are listening to. The DAVS880 wasn't even comparable to the KEFs. I am now going to purchase the Denon AVR2802 with the KEFs.

Thanks again.

6. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    if you want to improve the setup even more try demoing a different sub to go with the eggs.

I was happy with my 3802+KHT2005 for several months until I demod a different sub... couldnt change it quick enough after.