Sony DAVS800

S

steviegee

Hi, My S800 DVD Player has taken a dive and a recognised Sony repair agent has quoted me £380 for a whole DVD mechanism and labour to repair it.

Doesn't make sense with today's systems being much cheaper, I'd like to keep the speakers/woofer and just replace the DVD unit but connections etc. would be a problem.

Can anyone suggest a new system that would include the Dolby Prologic 2, DTS, SVCD etc, formats? I am know expert but want a system that easily plays not only DVD's but the SKY and TV elements through the system also. Cheers.:beer:

Sorry steviegee I haven't got any answers but how long have you had the 800 model as I've the 888 model?

Colin.

Colin,

About 3 years, idealy I'd like to replace the DVD unit only and keep the speakers, woofer etc. I'd also like to stick with Sony due to a generally good experience with their products, what's the S888 like? Does it play SVCD?

Steve

Steviegee

Phew, I thought your were going to tell me that you only had your 800 for a short time. As far as the 888 goes I think that it's the same as the 800 bar the subwoofer which is powered. As for playing disks it's played everything i've thrown at it with no problems (I don't think I've tried a SVCD though). SACD sound better than normal CD but Prologic 2 sounds a bit pants along with the other gimmicky sound fields.

Colin.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom