1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAVS550 & Sony 28DX40 IDTV- Help on connecting up

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jonoss, Apr 1, 2003.

1. jonoss

jonoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in process of ordering a Sony DAVS550 and a Sony 28DX40 IDTV. This was following much research and deliberation. Having now made the choice my next headache and area of confusion is how to best connect up the two.

I also have a seperate digital satellite dish receiver box, for foreign free to air channels, and a vcr that needs to be connected up with the new tv and home cinema system.

With all the differant possible connections can someone please be so kind and advice me on the best way to connect my equipment to obtain the best possible DVD playback and audio reproduction.

Being relatively new to this field Im pulling my hair out. Thanks in advance

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi jonos,

As your TV doesn't have a component input (as per all other Sony CRT sets), your best option is to use S-video to connect your 550 as I don't think it has an RGB Scart output. All rather silly - nice one Sony!:rolleyes: Connect your satellite receiver up to one of the RGB Scarts on the TV, with a separate audio connection to the 550. This way you could use the Dolby Pro Logic II decoder to improve the stereo soundtracks broadcast on satellite. Connect your VCR by Scart to your sat receiver. Hope this helps.:)

Steve

3. jonoss

jonoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DUTCH, thank you very much for your reply, its most appreciated and most helpful. One question though, and excuse my ignorance, you mention, and I quote:

"Connect your satellite receiver up to one of the RGB Scarts on the TV, with a separate audio connection to the 550. This way you could use the Dolby Pro Logic II decoder to improve the stereo soundtracks broadcast on satellite"

Do you mean have a seperate audio connection connecting from the TV to the 550 or from the satellite to the 550?

If connected from the TV to the 550 will I still get sound from the speakers in the TV irrespective of the 550 being on or of?

Many thanks again Dutch

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi jonoss,

Sorry, maybe I wasn't too clear. I meant that you connect the 2 phonos from the sat box to your 550, although it would still work if you connected the 2 phono outputs from the TV to the 550 after connecting the RGB Scart. The Scart carries stereo audio aswell as the RGB signal, so you will get sound on the TV from the sat box if the 550 is off. Hope this is a bit clearer. :p

Steve