1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAVS550 question..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by andy76, May 2, 2003.

1. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have seen the above at a seemingly reasonable £330.
    Is it any good for the money?
    Looking on the Sony site it says this:

Total 350W : 50W x 5 + 100W (RMS 10%)

What exactly does the RMS 10% mean? Are the outputs shown therefore PMPO?

Any other comments about the product?

Thanks
    Andrew

2. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's great.
    If you're going to use it instead of your hi-fi to play music..... don't (unless your hi-fi is crap).

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Theres a lot of people including me that don't like Sony home cinema systems or sony dvd players in general. Its not because they are rubbish but because many people find features like multiregion and vcd/svcd important. Sony can be damn awkward in this regard needing special remotes, or general poor compatibility with media and formats. However if your just a region 2 only buyer or you don't mind paying extra for multiregion and risking a) invalidating the guarantee with a chip or b) needing to spend £30-40 again to use a special remote if you reset the region hack then they are not so bad.

Also Scart RGB is important to most uk users and this system doesn't have it. I think the best thing about the system is the main unit's great looks and pretty decent sound quality.

If your a real sony fan then its a good choice but it certainly isn't the best system at the price.