1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAVS550 PAL output with R1 discs?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by CounterWhine, Mar 19, 2003.

1. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi All,

A friend at work has bought a Sony DAVS550 that's been chipped for multi-region. Her TV is PAL only and the only connection options she has are composite-to-Scart and S-Video-to-Scart. Consequently she's getting B&W images whenever she plays a R1 disc.

Is there a way of forcing the DAVS550 to output PAL regardless of the disc. Any other options (a cheap external NTSC-to-PAL converter perhaps)?

TIA,

D.

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I'm sure her telly's really nice an'all but I think the best option would be to change it something with native NTSC support. Failing that, an all-in-one DVD system which outputs PAL50/60 (here current TV may not even like PAL60). No cheap external convertor is going to look much cop.

You can't beat a bit of pre-purchase research (!) :)

HTH,
    Mike.

Mike.

3. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Well the DAVS550 is brand new and changing the TV is not in the plan either.

I was kind of hoping for a setup option/hack in the Sony that would force it to convert to PAL.

D.

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I don't know of any Sony machines which do a conversion from NTSC. Even Techtronics can't/won't/don't do it on their 550's.

Maybe look at transcoders from Keene/Maplin/Lektropacks and the like. Or change all her R1's for R2s...

Mike.