1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAVS550 Owners, needs info

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by pat22, Jan 22, 2004.

1. pat22

pat22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am interested in the Sony DAVS550 to be connected to a projector (either the Z2 or EA500).

I would I appreciate if some of you have the answers these questions:

- Can it play DVD+R and DVD+RW?
    - Does it support Pal progressive scan?
    - Does it reads JPG?
    - Is there a multiregion crack available?
    - Is there a PDF of the operating manual available?

Many thanks
    Patrice

2. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i can help.

However you have asked a really hard question.

Firstly then:
    Sony's aren't advertised as being able to support home media recordable formats except CD-r and rw. However the majority if not all play dvd-r

The Rw of these formats can be a bit touchy having said that they will probably (probably) play. The + format is another touch and go and i would say that could be risky as its the - format that is more widely supported. Especially +rw. The thing is you have to try it with your player to see!

Next:
    It does support pal progressive on compnent out (which you should use with a projector for optimum quality)

It reads a VCD with jpeg pictures burnt onto it

Some sellers sell multi region versions of this player and you can borrow remotes which unlock it to multi region format for around £20-£30 (forgot the site) however sony themselves don't support multi region versions.

Manual, sorry don't thinks so. Sony will send replacement booklet form manuals out but i think they will probably charge!

3. pat22

pat22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you

Supporting Progressive PAL! That would be great.

I wasn’t sure as I read that progressive scan was only working for NTSC.

Patrice

4. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right i have just checked that.

Using component out:
    Set it to progressive and the colour system of the TV is pal, the signal is changed into interlace format automatically.

I don't use c/out you see. I would check this with some one who can be sure, but i am pretty certain it supports pal progressive

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The Davs550 has a very nice pal interlace picture plus of course ntsc progressive scan. Your projector will de-interlace this interlace image to progressive scan and this will be a marginal reduction in quality compared to the dvd player de-interlacing. Personally I wouldn't worry about the lack of pal progressive you still get a very clean and detailed component out image that I think you will be very happy with. In comparision the s-video output is a little grainy.

The DAVS550 is not as flexible at reading other media as many systems out there but as previously stated most good quality dvd-r copies should work but not all. Sony own television program and film production companies and using copied media has never been a priority for them in fact they have often worked against playing copied media.

The Sony is a nice system if your making use of its component out socketry and its sacd playback is excellent. Its not as dynamic as other systems but its digital amplifer produces a lovely detailed sound. Note that the system isn't as loud as many on the market and its output compares to about a 30 watt per channel analogue amp based home cinema system.