1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAVS550 - Connectivity Problem with other hardware

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jonoss, Apr 12, 2003.

1. jonoss

jonoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please can someone help advice me. I have my Sony DAVS550 connected up as per the connectivity chart at Sony.co.uk, it is the TV-VCR-SAT-DAV-2 connectivity. I have a SONY28DX40 IDTV
    My SAT box is connected to VCR with a scart from the vcr scart on SAT to IN scart on VCR. TV scart from SAT to scart 1 in TV.

VCR connected to DAV with scart to 3 phono lead from 2nd VCR scart socket to video 1 input in DAV. The DAV is conected to TV with an s-video to scart lead from DAV to S-video enabled scart socket in TV. I then have 2 phono to 2 phono lead connecting up audio from TV to DAV.

Everything works fine apart from the VCR. I just cant seem to get the VCR picture on the TV in any of the scart channels. I can get the audio of the VCR tape playing through the DAV but cant get no picture. I have tried and tried but no luck. I have connected exactly as per Sony connectivity chart.

When I reverse the scarts from the back of the SAT receiver, ie just physically swap them around at the back of the sat from what I stated and what is in the Sony connectivity the VCR playback is seen on TV. But why shouldnt it work as per connectivity chart that I have followed. I really want this to work as per the Sony connectivity Many thanks in advance.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi jonoss,

I don't think you will get a picture from the VCR via the DAVS550 because your VCR is outputting a composite video signal, whereas the DAVS550 is outputting an S-video signal to the TV Scart. I don't think the DAVS550 will upconvert a video signal like some AV amps will.

You should get a picture from the VCR via the sat box if the sat box is in standby and just lets the VCR loop through it to the TV (RGB?) Scart. Good luck.

Steve

3. jonoss

jonoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DUTCH, Thank you very much for your reply. It does seem to make alot of sense what you say and seems to explain why I am getting no VCR playback when the connectivity is per Sony site suggestion.

Would be most interested to understand why is it that playback from VCR is seen when when I reverse the scart connection in back of VCR, so scart from VCR in/out is connected to SAT VCR scart connector and scart from VCR in is connected to DAV video 1 input via a scart to 3 phono lead. Sound is also heard from DAV with this connection. Can you explain this please? Would be of great interest
    ( I HAD PREVIOUSLY SAID INCORRECTLY I REVERSED THE SCART CONNECTION AT BACK OF SAT, IN FACT WHEN I TRIED THIS VCR DID NOT SHOW PLAYBACK).

Many thanks in advance