sony DAVS500/550/880

johnkay

Standard Member
Reaction score
I need help to know what to do next. I have tried DAVS500 which I returned because it was faulty. Next I tried DAVS880, again has a fault (random subtitles, also pro-logic 2 not working fully). So I shall return DAVS880 and I'm thinking of any of the following:

JVC V70
Denon 1000
Yamaha 100
or even maybe the DAVS550.

DAVS550 is a reluctant choice, because the dolby pro 2 might be disappointing again. But I have only space for 89mm high player in TV cabinet and I want speakers to be small as possible. The sony's fit this requirement, but sound wise they are mediocre.

The Yamaha has slightly large speakers to my liking. The Denon - I'm not sure which speakers come with it.

So favourite at the moment is JVC.

Can anyone tell me if it is better than the DAVS880? Or any other suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.

Have youseen the Pioneer DCS-303 yet? It's 75W per channel. Dolby Digital/DTS/Prologic 2 and around £350!!! Oh yeah and I amost forgot its about the same size as the Sony but just a little deeper.

£350:eek::eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks - I hadnt heard about Pioneer DCS303. Looks promising, but can u tell me if I was to purchase a projector, would u say that the Pioneer was still a good option? I'm thinking that progressive scan or component out signal might be worth having. I looked at the pioneer site, but it did not give detailed specs.

have you cinsidered the denon adv-700 - at £660.00 from hifibitz. Sound and pict quality very good.

Audiowise, i feel DAVS550 is much nicer to listen to than the Pioneer DCS-303.

Then new Pioneer does mp3 and the 550 doesn't tho'

-Cyclops, War Machine, Ironman-

I have bought the Pioneer DCS303 and have to say I am much happier with it than I was with the Sony davs880. The 5 chan effect is really very good. Also it was only half the price of the Sony (£322)
Thanks to snyphr for putting me onto to Pioneer.

Hi JohnKay

Can you tell me the video output terminals your dsc 303 has got?

? RGB ? S-Video ?Component?

Originally posted by johnkay
I have bought the Pioneer DCS303 and have to say I am much happier with it than I was with the Sony davs880. The 5 chan effect is really very good. Also it was only half the price of the Sony (£322)
Thanks to snyphr for putting me onto to Pioneer.

hiya

does the pioneer play RCE region 1 discs like the sony does?

cheers

neil

Jk,

Where did you get your Pioneer DCS303 from? The cheapest I've seen it is about £350.

Thanks

well I had the pioneer
and now have the sony dav880 and got no problems great sound and vision but at the extra cost

Originally posted by zhukov2027
well I had the pioneer
and now have the sony dav880 and got no problems great sound and vision but at the extra cost

so you think the sony davs880 is better than the pioneer dcs303?

yes I do and also looks better.
but as I said it is at a cost and depends on do you want to pay extra for it.

I have been shopping around for about 4 weeks for a good all-round HCP and everyone I have spoken to in the trade has said the same thing....Sony looks good but isn't as good as it should be for the money. I have also been told that the sound is nowhere near what it should be for the quite staggering price tag. I have however been recommended by almost all retailers, web-sites and friends to look at the Pioneer DCS330 which in terms of tech far outweighs anything Sony (or is that Samsung???) are currently making. I have ordered a Pioneer and wait with baited breath.

you'll have to let us know what you think when you get it !!

Just collected my PIONEER XV-DV303 with S-DV303 speaker system and I have to tell you that it blows the SONY's out of the water in terms of...... well just about everything really.

The SONY's I looked at were the DAVS500 & 300 and whilst they were very good in terms of looks and indeed sound - I expected them to be excellent not just good. The bass on the SONY's seems weak and not at all penetrative which is what I was looking for. The PIONEER is a true deep rumbling bass.

I also like the fact that the PIONEER is DVD/CD/AM,FM RADIO/SACD/MP3 compatible and all for £349.

I also bought a pair of ALPHASON speaker stands which are unobtrusive and precisely half the price of the SONY stands.

Well-chuffed now....

Hi,

For those interested - DCS-303 for £300 at empire direct.co.uk OR
£323 at 24-7electrical.co.uk with pioneer stands.

good luck

Mel

how does it compare to the 505 ?

or is it just the 2 front speakers

Hi Neil,

As far as I can tell its just the front speakers. I've got the DCS303 and I'm very impressed with it. I haven't heard the 505 but I doubt it's worth the extra as my DCS303 sounds fantastic!

thanks for replying so soon

space / my girlfriend are the key factors i'm having to consider at the mo

can i ask if the speakers come with stands?

also, what's the sub like

i know i'need to go to a shop and have a listen myself but you can never really crank it up too loud - well, you can if you want to give them a heart attack !

:D

Neil,

I ordered mine from www.techtronics.com it cost £329 delivered but it didn't come with any stands but I already had some from Ikea so it wasn't a problem. Don't be put off by the sub being small, it has plenty of bass. I had a listen to the Sony 550 and I thought the Pioneer sounded better and its a hell of a lot cheaper as well.

hi again matt

sounds very promising

might nip up comet after work and see if i can have a listen

what are techtronics like?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom