1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAVS 800 to TH42PWB connection

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by KevinELane, Aug 1, 2002.

1. KevinELane

KevinELane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an DAVS800 and a Panasonic TH42PW4 screen. I understood that the suppier (Electro Centre in Hansworth) had 'chipped' the player to make it multi-region.

I bought The Fifth Element from the US to ensure that I had a region 1 disc to test the multi region capability. (Region 2 plays perfectly via the S-video)

Oh dear. When playing the region 1 disc, the picture dances all over the place and is totally unwatchable. I got back to Electro Centre to ask what the problem could be, and was told that the problem was the S-video conection. I was informed that I needed a RGB to phono lead. (The DAVS800 has no scart output but has phono outputs; the Plasma has S-video and BNC connections.)

This doesn't sound right to me. Is this basically the player not being correctly chipped? I have enquired into an RGB to phono lead; no-one makes them!

Any input greatly appreciated

:confused:

2. MartinN

MartinN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't know anything about the DAVS800 but don't go near an s-video connection with a panny plasma.

You should have 3 audio style video connectors - labeled or coloured R,G & B as well as the proper audio outputs.

If the DAVS800 has only 1 video output (this is composite) do yourself a favour and get a new player with component outputs (RGB)

If it has got component outs then what you need is a 3xRCA (i.e. audio) to 3xBNC set of leads. I don't think you'll find too many of those at dixons or currys!

Try Joe ( www.tmfsolutions.co.uk )

Your picture quality will be improved no end. Have a look in the TV & Plasma forum - these questions get asked a lot

3. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi

It seems to me that your av channels have not been set to accept NTSC (r1) signals, this can usually be remieded through your service menu or the engineers service menu. I would the manucfacturere of the TV and ask them how to access the engineers menu and enable NTSC, or call the the company that u bought the tv from and tell them u have a problem with NTSC discs and they'll send an engineer round.

4. KevinELane

KevinELane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for both of your inputs. Replacing the player is unfortunately not an option.

Why is S video not a good idea with plasma screens? Region 1 pictures seems ok to me...

I checked with the suppliers of the screen (Sound & Vision in Bolton) who said that the S-Video should work fine with both Region 1 and Region 2. I would have to agree with them; the method of supplying the input should be immaterial as long as the decoding has occurred correctly.

Incidently, I am still waiting for Electro Centre to call me back - they are losing marks in the post sales care department. :(

Cheers

Kevin

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds as if your tv is not fully NTSC compliant.

You need an RGB scart to get round this and the DAV doesn't have one. Either take the tv back or take the DAV back.

Personally, i would take the DAV back.

6. KevinELane

KevinELane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TH-42PW4 definately 'does' NTSC; I'll have to check the settings on the Plasma screen setup to ensure that it is set to Auto and not PAL only.

Blimey what a palaver; The first lot of trouble was finding out that my video recorder wasn't an S-video, so couldn't connect the video (for the TV tuner container therein) to the plasma via S-video.

Having connected the video to the plasma via the composite, the DVD to the plasma via S-video, (and having to unplug the S-video cable whenever I want to watch TV and not a DVD) and now being told that to watch Region 1 DVD's I need to use SCART or RGB (neither of which the DAVS 800 has) you can imagine that I am to put it mildly not impressed.

Coupled with a two month wait for the Panasonic stand after having been told that they were in stock you see that I am basically really ticked off after I chose the DAVS 800 on the basis of reviews read in various magazines (mentioning no names

<Rant mode off> Thanks for all your help.:mad: )

7. MartinN

MartinN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I admit it does get a bit confusing.

Originally I was going to try and hook up my video (for the tuner)but I changed my mind and got a free-to-air digital set top box for 80 quid.

If you can get a half decent signal you're much better off with that - although the picture quality may not be any better, most channels broadcast in widescreen these days - you can't get it properly with analogue. (you have to use the zoom mode)

I have a fairly old sony 725 connected to my plasma via component (RGB) leads, I've then got the set top box connected via a John Sims converter box to the VGA port - The box converts a RGB 21 pin scart signal into a 15 pin vga signal.

Both VGA + component connections have a better picture quality than the s-video.

If you've spent £3,500+ quid on a monster telly it seems a shame to skimp on the source material.

Moral of the story - don't trust the magazine reviews!

8. KevinELane

KevinELane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - I agree with that - the forums are probably a better source.

I was going to 'upgrade' to a digital box in the future; I'm suprised that you say that the picture is no better. Isn't (forgive my ignorance here) it a case of all or nothing with Digital? ie if you get signal its 100%,

15pin VGA? Is that the PC input?. I can see the Red/Blue/Green terminals, and I am relatively happy with what the RGB sync is/does.

Again I agree - the system is only as good as the weakest link.

Thanks for the time spent on the posts - much appreciated, and much learnt.

:)

Kevin

9. KevinELane

KevinELane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW full marks to TMFSolutions - I gave them a call and they were more than happy to go through some info for me. I shall definately be calling them in the future for advice and supplies. Cheers for the tip

K

10. MartinN

MartinN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No problem.

You're right with digital being all or nothing - what I meant was overall the picture quality on digital isn't much different to analogue, in fact as far as sport is concerned I think my old 32" TV was much better, digital is a bit naff with fast moving images e.g. Camera moving over a football/cricket pitch.

Sky might be better 'cause it has more bandwidth.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi KevineLane,

Just a thought, but is your plasma set for component or RGB? You can find out on the main menu of the plasma (by pressing the set-up button on the handset). If its in component you will get no picture from an s signal so you need to change it to RGB.

12. KevinELane

KevinELane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I managed to get it all sorted in the end. On the Plasma screen there is a setting in the Setup menu called Signal. This determines what the input signal is to be taken as. I had had it set to 'PAL'. I switched it to 'Auto' so that the screen would identify the input and switch between NTSC and PAL as appropriate. Sorted. :D

'Null point' though to Sound and Vision in Bolton for failing to give me any sort of lead the three times that I phoned them up. They basically pointed me in the direction of the DVD supplier. Points knocked off too to Electro Centre in Solihull for giving me the classic line of 'You need a composite or RGB input on your screen or you will not be able to use the signal.' (Don't forget that they supplied the DAVS 800 and should be aware that there is no RGB output from the DAVS800) :rolleyes:

Also for telling me that Region 1 would not play through the S-video. Please... as if things weren't complicated enough, feeding me incorrect information doesn't exactly help.

Anyone scanning these threads please note - the chepeast price is not always the best value. you have to consider the post sales service that you may require. This I think is something that the current raft of magazines fail to address, but furums such as these may highlight.

Thanks to all who have posted.

Kevin