1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAVS 800 or separates?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Pete Callan, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dad wants to buy the Sony DAVS 800 for about £650. I've read that although these systems are OK, they're not as good as buying separates.

I've a Tosh 510 with the sound coming out of my two hi-fi speakers so I can't give him much advice, so can anyone else offer any alternatives for a similar sort of price. I've heard that Mission speakers are pretty good, for instance, although I've no idea whether you're meant to buy an amp as well, etc.

By the way, he's just bought a 32" Panasonic PL10.

Thanks if anyone can help.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DAVs are good enough for most people. It depends how much of an audiophile your dad is. If he wants the best, then a DAV won't cut the mustard, and he'll need separates. But if he's just after a decent sound solution, then the DAV should do. :)

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If he would like to experience SACD buy a DAV, if he would like to hear a benefit from SACD by something else.
    If not bothered about SACD, try the JVC TH-V70R, unlike DAV-S800, has beefy active subwoofer, 54 Mhz Video DAC and DPL2.