sony davs 550

Q

quicklee99

hi guys, sorry if this is repeated having trouble logging on, i read the richer sounds spec on the davs 550 that it does not convert NTSC to pal 60, does this mean my region 1 discs will play in black and white? im using a 14" philips TVCR combi if that helps.... any ideas what i can do? as i've ordered one already (DVD that is).... fairly annoyin as my cheap wharfedale DVD does all sorts of tricks including the conversion of NTSC into glorious pal colour

Pls help!

We recently picked up a DAVS 550 from the Maidstone RS.

We are running ours connected via S-Video to a Panasonic PT-AE100 projector which is capable of playing NTSC as is the Sony.

When I tried to play a Region 1 DVD it plays the sound and the front display on the Sony reads NTSC but the Panny won't display a picture at all. I have tried setting it to NTSC signal but it still doesn't play a thing.

It has now lost its region free state and just gives a Prohibited message and doesn't play the R1 dvds :(

Going to give RS a call asap.

Mines from RS about 6 weeks old - never given me a problem with either R1 or RCE discs, on a cheap and old Matsui 14" portable

However tried connecting one for a friend to thier 1 yr old 32" Philips TV and would only play back in Black and white through the S-Video - SCART. I couldnt work out how to 'tell'the TV to accept the S-video signal. Ended up playing it thru the front Component (the naff yellow one) socket to get color.

Neil

Originally posted by Neiliboy

However tried connecting one for a friend to thier 1 yr old 32" Philips TV and would only play back in Black and white through the S-Video - SCART. I couldnt work out how to 'tell'the TV to accept the S-video signal. Ended up playing it thru the front Component (the naff yellow one) socket to get color.

Neil

All you need to do is access the main menu screen on the TV, find the channel numbers screen where you will find the scart extensions. From there switch the relevant scart to the right setting.

Hope that makes sense!! :rolleyes:

Mark you are just up the road from me... (well I'm in Canterbury).

You able to get NTSC picture through the S-video connection ok?? (You have got the Sony DAVS 550 I take it?).

I was unable to get anything on our PT-AE100 projector when I tried. I can't try it on our Sony TV at the moment as the DAVS 550 is now region locked (must have lost settings).

We are going up to RS tomorrow (Maidstone store is closed Wednesdays) and I am going to take a R1 disc with me to test while I am there.

Originally posted by YaZiN
We recently picked up a DAVS 550 from the Maidstone RS.

We are running ours connected via S-Video to a Panasonic PT-AE100 projector which is capable of playing NTSC as is the Sony.

When I tried to play a Region 1 DVD it plays the sound and the front display on the Sony reads NTSC but the Panny won't display a picture at all. I have tried setting it to NTSC signal but it still doesn't play a thing.

It has now lost its region free state and just gives a Prohibited message and doesn't play the R1 dvds :(

Going to give RS a call asap.

Firstly the 550 I believe is capable of progressive scan for ntsc dvds via its component outputs. This will give you the best possible picture for region 1 discs using the AE100. I believe there is a scan switch at the back. I assume pal region 1 dvds will resort to interlace mode via component. You don't need anything special to use component. Standard audio phono leads will get the job done.

With regards losing its multiregion mode this is always the greatest worry with systems that are set to multiregion via a special remote. If you re-initialise the player this setting can be lost. Re-initialising is sometimes done by the player itself when it hangs due to overheating or problems reading a disc or you can do it yourself normally by holding buttons on the main unit for longer than normal. So long term multiregion ability is always a bit dodgy with this type of conversion. At least with a chipped player its normally permantly multiregion.

I'd also say that if you get a 550 that is a bit iffy with commercial dvds take the unit straight back while under guarantee. Sony's do have a lot of dvd drive problems and once they start they always get worse.

Thanks for the post.

RS swapped out our unit with another one and tested it there in the shop with a R1 dvd. It played fine.

We have the projector connected via an S-Video lead to the Sony.

The Sony is set to output Interlaced now but I know it can play R2 dvds with progressive turned on. It was with progessive left on that no picture appeared with R1 dvds.

Component will give you a much better picture than s-video and its the only connection that gives you progressive scan. You'll only get progressive with region 1 ntsc dvds. You won't get any display with region 1 dvds if you connect via s-video and the switch is set to progressive. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Thanks again for your help :D

I am no Home Cinema buff so I didn't know much about progressive scan etc.

I think that we will stick with our S-Video setup for now and maybe splash out on some component leads later (short on cash but happy with what we have now).

It beats the hell out of our age old Sony 32" TV :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom