1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAVS-550 Vs Sony DAVS-888

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Dave Harrison, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Dave Harrison

Dave Harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First off, I hope Ive done this right ! I have a Sony DAVS300 and althought the image and sound quality is good, normal CD's are very poor. So, I thought I would upgrade and go buy a new out-of-the-box system.

I have my eye on a DAVS 550 or a DAVS 888, both have seen their price drop so much, thought it was a good idea to get one, but Ive been to many, many sites for independent reviews and I have to say that it's a real mixed bag. Some sites tell me the 550 has poor bass and to avoid it, so I'll look at the 888 instead, only to find it's a love or hate situation. Too bassy, or 10/10 !

Also, I have connected my DAVS300 via SCART-Phono cable, is this the best way to connect ?

Can anyone with decent knowledge of the whole DVD-thing gimmie some advise please ? I will be forever in your debt !

Thanks everyone.

Dave

2. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the DAVS550 and have been very happy with it. The picture quality through S-Video is very good. (No RGB, as no scart).

I found the bass to be very good, although I have never used seperates, so can't compare to that. My last all in one system was a Philips LX3000D and the Sony is far superior in terms of sound.

I don't have the largest of living rooms and I place the sub in a corner facing outwards into the room, so these factors may help.

Regards

PaulJ :smashin:

3. Dave Harrison

Dave Harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul, I must admit my Bro-in-law has the DAVS500 and I think it's great, so the 550 must be same / better. Nightmare trying to choose ! Ta. Dave.

4. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If CD audio is important to you, surely an 'upgrade' to another all-in-one isn't the way to go?

As I've said twice already this morning :laugh: , I own a Pioneer DCS-303 all-in-one and although I am happy with it, it is far short of what even a 'low-budget' separates setup has to offer - even one used for AV, in my experience.

Hmm, I suppose 'far short' reads a little more critically than I intend. I just mean to say that the 'mid-range' audio is lacking - particularly noticeable on hearing a big-box system.

There are one or two all-in-ones that have had reasonable reviews (for what that's worth!) in terms of their capacity for music playback; but I doubt that anything is a substitute for full-size speakers...

Re: your video question, I don't think it's been specifically answered, but I think you're saying that you are using a composite connection. If so, that's the worst possible method for playback. Depending on your TV, cabling and the playback hardware, you'll find that component, RGB SCART and s-video connections give the most pleasant colour and detail levels. S-video is the 'in-between', being an improvement on composite, but generally not up to the levels of component or RGB SCART. In my own experience, s-video shouldn't be discounted as it can still provide a delightful picture.

Hope I've written something of worth during this early hour! Good luck!

5. Dave Harrison

Dave Harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments, great to get help when yopu need it !!!!

TA

Dave

6. jaybeegee

jaybeegee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody confirm if sony have solved the image freeze at layer change bug that were widely reported in the forum many months ago?

jay