1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAVS 400 Sound/Speaker Problems

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stueyg, Aug 7, 2005.

1. stueyg

stueyg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I would be grateful for any advice on the following problem:

I have a Sony DAVS 400 Home Cinema DVD system which is nearly 3 years old. Recently I have had intermittent problems when playing DVD's or CD's with either hiss, dull sound or no sound at all from the front left speaker and rear right speaker. When I run the test sound there is generally no problem and the speakers appear to work fine. If I leave the system on with nothing playing I get intermittent crackling sounds.

I have swapped speakers around to see if there are problems with the actual speakers/cables and they work fine in other positions, but speakers plugged into the "problem positions" have the same issues.

My thoughts are that there may be problems with the internal connections - but if this is the case why does the test signal work without a problem??

I am hesitant to pay for a repair on the unit due to it's age and am blatantly aware there are better units to buy now than there were 3 years ago - but if I can avoid replacing it for now I would rather do that!!

Any thoughts anyone???

Thanks in advance

Stuart

2. markd_uk

markd_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stuart - I don't know if you ever resolved this? I have EXACTLY the same problem. Wondering if anyone else has had any experience or could offer advice? :lease: Cheers - Mark.

3. finchy2k40

finchy2k40
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    guys,
    i know of myself, my uncle, and my father whom have had this fault, mainly on the sub or left channel.

the problem is dry joints on the capacitors for the speaker channels.
    what you need to do is open up and looking from the front, in the back right hand corner is a board 5x5 inch in size, you need to unplug this and the board next to it somewere on the main board will be the 6 large caps ( you can trace them back visually from the speaker inputs on the back) you will find that one or even two of these caps are loose and all that they require is an new blob of solder!!
    i bought my unit second hand for 50 quid of a lad at work because he was sick of the fault, when i told him i had repaired it in 20 mins he was not too happy;) also my dad was a bit peeved because he paid £300+ for his

hope this solves you problem boys, unforntunately some of the details may be rusty and i have lost the jpegs i took but hopefully you will be back up and running at full 5.1 soon!!

4. markd_uk

markd_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finchy - you're a star. Thanks very much. If you ever find those pics - let us know. Nice one.

5. finchy2k40

finchy2k40
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i think sony must have had a bad batch of solder, or wheather the joint for the sub and l/h spker was done buy a shoddy robot/worker!

6. finchy2k40

finchy2k40
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i think sony must have had a bad batch of solder, or wheather the joint for the sub and l/h spker was done buy a shoddy robot/worker!

let us know how you get on

7. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    FYI

I had the same problem with a DAVs300 system and it was also down to the same solder problem... :thumbsdow

Cheers

Gaz

8. blagadan

blagadan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this thread is over a year old but I just wanted to say thank you for the advice found on this thread!

My dav s-400 had problems with the front left speaker and also had the "protect mode" problem.
    Sure enough when I cracked open the unit and had a look at the sound card, it had a whole bunch of dry joints. Most noticably, a very large brown capacitor had NO solder on one thru hole pad. Two other caps had loose pins and one white thru hole connector came away from the pcb when I went to disconnect the plug! I have no idea how this unit worked for the time it did before it developed the problems.
    Anyway, I touched up every solder joint on the card and put it all back together and it now works better than ever.

No more problems with protect mode when playing dvd's at loud volume either, all in all, very happy camper.

Thanks to you guys for your posts. My google search for "davs 400 speaker problem" brought me right here to avforums!!

My local AV repair shop wanted €80 labour + parts for repairing my dvd player. Not too bad I guess, but even nicer to be able to sort it myself.

thanks guys.

9. jotus

jotus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: thanks for this thread. I lost the left channel and the info on how easy it was to get the driver board out was enough for me to open the box. Three dodgy dry joints on my Sony DAVS400 - resoldered and everything is up and running.

10. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    My girlfriend's DAV-S800 (or something like that), its about 6 years old developed all sorts of intermittent speaker problems. Oblivious to this thread I opened it up and found all the speaker terminal solder joints were cracked.

I resoldered them and things are much better but the sub channel still keeps dropping out at random.

I will have to have another look and delve a bit deeper as I confined myself to just the output board.

11. xon88

xon88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Finchy! I had 2 channels which were not working properly and after fixing the dry joints it works as a charm again =)...as blagadan said, mine also had a large brown capacitor which was moving freely as it had no solder wahtsoever on either side.

I know this unit is quite old now, however I connect my new divx player to it and it serves me quite nicely =)

Thanks again.