Sony Dav500 owners - please help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by AndersR, Dec 10, 2002.

1. AndersR

AndersR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I recently bought the sony davs500 from richer sounds and I think I might have a defect unit.

The problem is that there is a noticeble hizz or buzz noise comming from all the speakers - even from the rear and center speakers when I'm only using the front speakers in 2channel mode.
    I have the system in a small room (9x12f) so I'm sitting close to the speakers, and I have to turn the volume up to about 8-10 before the hizz is deffened by the music or movie playing.
    It's really annoying because I can't enjoy the quite moments of music and movies.
    The noise is present at all times except when in dvd/cd mode when you are not playing any disks. It's very easy to detect if you switch to video1 or 2- I dont have a video connected.

Is this normal or is something wrong with the dav?
    Are the rear/center speakers supposed to hizz when they are not in use?
    should I complain to sony?

I've meassured the voltage at the end of the speaker cables and I got about 200 mV (rms) witch is about 1-200 times more compared with my friends small stereo!!

Thanks

anders