Sony DAV-SR 4 W

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by SwissSteve, Oct 7, 2004.

1. SwissSteve

SwissSteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying an all-in-one system to replace my slowly dying DAV-S300. I am interested in the Sony DAV-SR 4 W system but wondered if anyone has one or has any opinions about it or can recommend similar systems. One big plus with this system is the wireless rear speakers, but I am very concerned that the quality of sound may be compromised.

This is a link to the DAV SR4W

It is around GBP 600.

Thanks for any help!

Steve

2. enviromann

enviromann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like answers to this one too!

There is however a review in the most recent (October I think) What HiFi - they give it 4 stars - it lost 1 because it does not have a 'input' for components (i.e. Plasma tellies).

Would like to hear from someone who has one. One thing you should know if you have the cash, Sony new flagship DAVLF1 will be available this month retailing around £1300 - looks super - donot know what the sound quality is like. Anyone got any comments on this new model?

3. BHOY

BHOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Please excuse me if I have got this totally wrong as I know absolutely nothing about these systems. (complete newbie).

I'm just trying to look at whats being written and trying to figure out what would be best for the pj I intend to buy!

If this system has component out, I assume any dvd played on it and connected via component to your plasma, pj etc should be fine.

Am I missing something or are you guys only concerned about hooking up other av products via component!

Please can someone advise me as I really liked the look of this system?

Thanks

4. SwissSteve

SwissSteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any opinions regarding the Sony wireless rear speaker system? Does anyone have a unit like this? Good or bad experiences? Also looking at the 500W system - it has a similar rear wireless speaker system.

Thanks

Steve

:lease:

5. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sony DAV SR2 which looks identical to this model except the rear speakers are not wireless so I can't advise in that aspect

I would be interested to know how these wireless systems perform, I assume they require batteries so if you watch as many films as I do they wouldn't last very long. Also do they suffer from interference when somebody walks past??

Can anybody clarify these issues?

6. BHOY

BHOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was review in what Hi-Fi.

The rear speakers connect to the mains socket and ther is speaker cable that runs between the rears.

The only thing that is holding me back from buying them is I need component out to go to a PJ. The Sony site states that it has component but what HI-Fi said it doesn't.

I have tried to contact Sony by email twice to clarify, but that is over a week now and the haven't mailed me back. Makes you worry about buying Sony when they won't even answer a small question!!!

If anyone oy ther can advise me regarding compnent a would appreciate it.

7. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should get a reply from Sony soon, I bought their DAVS 880 home cinema kit in March 2003, in May this year it developed a problem with the amp which would have been extremely expensive to repair (vitually the cost of a new system). As it was only just out of warranty I complained direct to Sony via their website and they agreed to replace the complete system with the DAVSR2 free of charge. So I am obviously quite pleased with them ;)

I also wouldn't worry about component unless you have a screen bigger than 36". My DAVS880 only had super video output and the picture quality on my Sony KV36FS76 was immaculate. I can not distinguish any better picture quality via the RGB Scart on my SR2.

8. BHOY

BHOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bam

It looks like the same DVD player on the SR2. Could you please check and see if it has a component out. In the technical spec of the SR2 on the Sony site it states it does, but I'm not convinced.

Sony did well for you, no wonder your pleased!! How does your new system sound, it certainly looks good.

Thanks for any help

Bhoy

9. Venger

Venger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bit the preverbial bullet and ordered the DAV-LF1, I was completely seduced by the looks of it. Let's just hope that it delivers performance as good as it looks.

Will keep you posted!

10. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no component video output just RGB Scart

It sounds great, the main two factors when I went for the 880 were looks and sound.
    Before I bought the 880 I was also considering separates (which would have cost twice as much) with the Mission FS2 speakers but when I had a demo they sounded rubbish. If you've never had home cinema kit before I recommend you go for an all in one system to start off with. Then if you think it's worth it you can move on to separates.
    Personally I'm happy with what I have got and have no intention of upgrading.

11. SANDFORTH

SANDFORTH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A PANASONIC TH-42PWD6 AND THE SONY DAV SR2 I HAVE THE BOG STANDARD SKY BOX.
    MY PROBLEM IS HOW DO I CONNECT THE PICTURE FROM THE DAV AND THE SKY BOX TO THE PLASMA.
    THE DAV HAS ONLY ONE SCART SOCKET OUT WITH NO SCART BOARD IN THE PLASMA. :lease: