Sony DAV SC5 Repair or Replace.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by billbirchall, Mar 19, 2006.

1. billbirchall

billbirchall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Current setup:- Sony Bravia KDL-V40A12U LCDTV
    Sony DAV SC5 Home Cinema system
    Sky+

I have been very happy with my Sony DAV SC5, but I now have problems in that my DVD will not accept disks and also I do not appear to be able to obtain surround sound from the A.F.D.AUTO sound field for Sky + movies.I have considered 3 options.
    1) Repair
    2) Replace with something comparable, but what??
    3) Possibility of adding a DVD player.

1)As I only paid £199 for the system I do not want to pay a great deal to have it repaired.
    2) Replacement is an issue as I have just laid a new carpet over the wiring and understand that any new system would not be compatible with the current wiring. Replacing the wiring and leaving it visible would cause a major domestic problem!!
    3) As the system has only 1 optical connection, and that is currently used by Sky+, I cannot see any way to connect a new DVD player.Am I missing something.
    In summary, I would like to get it repaired at a low cost, but assuming I cannot, can someone, please, give me some advice?

2. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,322
    I guess if you're otherwise happy with the Sony unit the best option would be to replace it like for like. There always seems to be a supply of these system on a well known auction site where people are upgrading but keeping the speakers. I've just checked & there are two currently available. Also check for the compatible SC8 (maybe others?).

As with 99% of modern electronics, the cost of repair through a service centre is likely to be uneconomical.