1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV SC5 Feedback Needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Jack-Deth, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    I am considering buying an all in one setup, particulaly the Sony DAV SC5. I know I know, separates are better, blah blah blah. However, this one is destined for the bedroom eventually, so size, ahem, is important. I am interested in the DAV SC5 but cannot find any substantial reviews/comments regarding picture quality etc.

Any comments gladly received!!!!

2. neilb1906

neilb1906

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Justed posted elsewhere re this product.

Ive had mine about 1 month now and it is fantastic for the money (about £360 on the net). It sounds brill, the passive sub is more than man enough for most films and it even sounds good on CD playback. It plays most formats and mp3s aswell. DVD pic qual is near perfect.

It looks cool and is a smart bit of kit. Yes there are other setups no doubt some will say sound/look better, its all opinion.

At the end of the day its your eyes and ears that will live with it, so the best advice is to find a dealer that will demo it for you. Take along some DVDs that you are familiar with and take your time. A good dealer will encourage this. If they get arsey, walk out, its their loss.

Final bit of advice,,,, spkr positioning is just as important as the kit itself. A £1000 setup with crap positioning will sound dire, a £400 kit setup just right will impress.

Overall I highly recommend the Sony.

Good luck mate

3. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have the DAV s500, the SC5 without scart basically. The DAV s550 is a fantastic piece of kit and sound quality is phenomenal. Some say picture quality isn't amazing but i have no problems. However, the SC5 now has RGB scart for quality picture output, unlike the S550 which had component (extremely good but not widely supported) so.....BUY AN SC5!

(try reading reviews on this forum about the dav s500 to give you an idea what the SC 5 is like.)

4. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Many thanks neilb1906 and DDDavo for your responses. Very helpful they were too, unfortunately due to long working hours it is difficult for me to demo so I will have to "blind buy" this one.

I think I shall take the plunge with the sc5, as I have seen the sc5 for just over three hundred notes, which seems like a good price. The RGB output was the major difference for me between the DAV s550 and DAV sc5.

Cheers guys for the assistance..........

5. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Got my DAV-SC5 last week and very impressed with it... A bit worried at first about the 100W passive Sub but it's more than enough for my 16ft x 14ft room.

The unit looks very good, easy to setup, has RGB scart output to my 36FS76 - superb picture. The units not complained about any of the DVD-R & DVD-RW ive tried on it ;) SVCD's work fine as well.

Even has an extra optical in for my games console but may dedicate this to a SkyPlus Box (still thinking about that 1)

Only gripe I would say is the speaker cable supplied for the front speakers was a little short (not a big deal), the fittings are easily changed if you get some replacement cables:)

Overall Can't fault it... and i would also highly recommend this.

Let us know how you get on... would be interested in your verdict...

6. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Thanks Devastator, I took the plunge and the sc5 - multi region arrived today!!!

The initial verdict is overall a very positve one. I have only just begun to fine tune the set up but so far it has impressed me. I fear that I have lost a mite in picture quality. My "old" player is a Pioneer 454 into a JVC AV28R25S. The picture is not quite as sharp and detailed, but I would be nitpicking if I said that it bothered me. Tried out all the usual suspects such as Two Towers Extended Edition DTS, Blade 2 DTS, Saving Privite Ryan DD and all I can say is wow!!!!! The sound fills the room easily and with plenty left in the tank. Not too sure the neighbours agree but what the hell!!

For just over 300 quid, it will do me nicely. Also means I can have a Multi region player in bedroom now!!!!

7. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Have not tried the Pioneer 454 so was only able to compare pic quality against Tosh 220e, 330e & previous Sony Players.

I bet my neighbours are not too impressed with me recently either...hehehe

Glad you like the system. If you find any 'quirks' or useful hidden features (like turning FBI warning cr*p off) let us know.

8. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Out of interest how does SC5 compare to Tosh?? Regards picture quality (obviously).

If I find any "cheats" will let you know!!!!

Thanks

9. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Found the picture quality to be on a par if not slightly better on the Sony The Sony NS405, DAVSA30 and now DAVSC5 will read just about any brand of dvdr or rw thrown at them. The Tosh's were more fussy not picking up cheapo Princo dvd-rw's.

From what I know it shouldn't matter where sub is placed.. Have you/anyone got any tips on setting up the speakers properly with regards to distance and height?? (my TV/System are in a corner) :(

10. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    I had the same problem but managed to move system. I could not work out how to place speakers either!! Afraid I cant be of much help - sorry.