1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-SA30

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by gillw, Jan 19, 2005.

1. gillw

gillw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am thinking of purchasing this all-in-one. I would be grateful if anyone who has this model or has experience of this model could give me their opinions.

Many thanks.

2. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had one of these for a month or so and I'm pretty happy with it. I am only using at as a second system for the bedroom but it is adequate for this. The sound is a little "boxy" and you are limited to the preset sound settings, most of which are crap but with a bit of fiddling it can sound quite nice. It is not massively loud so if you are trying to fill a large room it will probably struggle. It reproduces DTS, Dolby Digital and Prologic II nicely and gives a good soundstage as long as the speakers are place well. For the money they cost now you won't go far wrong. I got mine from Mikrolive via Amazon.com for £95 but I saw one in my local Sony Centre (Horsham W.Sussex) for £99 at the weekend! The main drawback is that you are limited to using a scart/composite as it has no s-video or component outs. If you do a search in the reviews section you will find a rundown on the performance and spec.

3. JoeyL

JoeyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had one of these systems too, since July of last year. I use in my living room, which is a medium-large sized room and it copes pretty well.
    It is a great looker too - for some reason unknown to me, Sony's very latest models are awful looking boxy things, like VCR's from the '80's!
    I'm generally impressed with the sound, though as said it is not the loudest at times, you really have to turn it well up for some DVD's.
    It also allows you to put your normal TV sound through the speakers, giving you some level of "surround" sound (Pro logic II) but obviously not as good as when you play a DVD.
    As said, it decodes DTS as well as Dolby Digital. The DTS is excellent on some of the "louder" DVD's!

But...... over xmas, I thought mine was developing a fault - I was getting a strange clicking/huming noise through the speakers, but it hasn't happened for a couple of weeks now... fingers crossed.

4. gillw

gillw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the replies folks.

I am really torn between this model and the DAV-SC5. The thing that puts me off the SC5 is that I think it looks a bit wierd!