1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV SA30 or SC5?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kev_barber, Nov 13, 2003.

1. kev_barber

kev_barber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having almost convinced myself to enter the world of home cinema with the SA30, the wife caught the sight of SC5. Now although this kit passes the 'it's looks better' wife test and knowing it's got a bit more oomph to it I was wondering if there maybe any reviews on the SC5 anywhere or if anyone has it and can recommend it enough for me to spend the extra £100.

Any advice greatly received.

2. Bandit

Bandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have listened to the SC5 predecessor, S550 which apparently is exactly the same internally, and it lacked oomph when i listened it against the Panasonic SC-HT500. The Panasonic does all its amplication for all 5.1 within the amp so the dvd player doesn't get as hot, sounds better.

I think the SC-HT500 looks more classy, but its worth trying to set up an audition to compare them back to back. Richer sounds can do this.

Don't believe all the reviews the Sony S550 got, i was disappointed when i heard it...

3. Bandit

Bandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Actually many reviews weren't that positive about it but What Hifi loved it. I think there perspective was a little different from many of its potential buyers. To them it was pretty reasonable system for playing SACDs with nice detailed sound as well as good sound for normal audio cds and movie playback. However I think many potential buyers want more dynamic sound and a better subwoofer and are just interested in dvd playback.

Why not get the JVC THA-35R. Pretty good reviews everywhere including this month's What Hifi. The worst thats been said about it is the noisy fan. However not every review mentions this so I wonder if it varies on each individual system. Obviously if you want SACD playback its no good but personally I have no interest in that at all and if I did I wouldn't be looking at a £300 home cinema system to play them as that would probably cancel out much of the improvement in quality anyway.