1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-S888

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Oakey, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, I have a Sony DAV-S300 and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm not into all the seperates and all that (I live in one room ***, anything more is overkill). Anyway, the speaker wires for the S300 are all under the carpet so it would be a pain to rewire everything. Plus I want to be able to keep the wires for the S300 (Sony proprietory connects). So, what's the opinion on the S888? If I get this I can use the current speaker cable that's installed (and use the cable from the new player with the S300).

Does it still use the same composite/SVHS video out as the S300? Or have Sony fitted it with component video out? (It is supposed to be their top end machine after all).

What's sound quality like?

Main question is, will it play DVD-R's okay as I've just bought a Pioneer 105 and the last thing I want is anything I burn to be incompatible. I know my S300 is (although I've only tried Datasafe Ritek discs) but incidently it refused to play the Honda promo DVd as well.

Thanks for any help.

2. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Oakey,
    Was looking to buy the 888 about a month ago but couldn"t get one so bought the outgoing 880. This looks exactly the same but the 888 has an active sub (I think thats the only diff).
    The 880 I got is multi region , cost £550 and plays all my dvd-r"s, main ones I use are Datawrite yellows plus any ritek based ones.
    Yep its got composite connections/s/composite.
    The colour and styling of the Sony match my other panasonic items.

HTH

3. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Webelectricals have the S888, it's £640. So it's still composite (yellow connection) and S-Video? No higher quality output? That's a bit lame, even some cheapy players have component (and the component input on my TV is currently going to waste). Where did you get the 880 from? Do you think the 888 is worth the extra £90 over the 880? Thanks.

I just checked AVLand, apparently the 888 is component out. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, are there any digital audio inputs on this model?

4. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
  5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DAV-S888 definitely has component video outputs.
    It has one digital audio input.

6. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So would it be a good move to replace the S300 with the S888? I'd like to get proper equipment, maybe when I have my own house.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Only you can decide, but if it was my decision then I would keep the S300. :)

8. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DAV 888 is prog scan, though only NTSC it would seem.

We hooked a display model up the other day and linked it to a Sony Plasma, I fiddled in the menu and selected component feed to "Progressive" and the image didn't change a single bit, as it was being fed a PAL signal.
    I think if it had been modded (we only sell locked R2 players) it would Prog scan NTSC.

9. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Feel free to explain why :)

Surely the S888 is the better choice? More features, more power, not as crippled as the S300 (ie, cd-r, dvd-r, etc). Plus it'll be region free unlike my S300.

10. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've found the 888 for £609 multiregion inc delivery, I will post the link if you're interested.

11. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered, can someone send me a picture of the back of the DAV-S888? Just wanted to see how the sub is connected to the main unit.

Cheers

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you need CD-R, DVD-R and multi-region, you could consider buying a decent £100 player and connect it through your system ?
    My guess is that if you buy the DAV-S888 you will soon want to upgrade, it isn't an enormous difference from what you have in performance, the power figures are deceptive.
    My choice would be to keep saving until you can buy some decent separates. For example Marantz SR-5300 receiver bought from Richer Sounds @ £279 by price matching www.discounttv.co.uk and beating by a tenner as they do. Three pairs of Mission M71i ( black ) £59 per pair @ Richers and then add a Paradigm subwoofer, say a PS1000 @ £229 @ Richers. Obviously that's only one suggestion, but if you hear a demonstration of such a system you will forget about all-in-ones. :)

13. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me! Has anyone actually HEARD the DAV-S888 (or 880) in their own house properly setup with the distances and everything in the menu? Unless you have an enourmous room, it sounds unbelievable!!! I only have a 16" room, but it sounds 10 times better than the 300.

Just my opinion, but most people base a system on listening to it in the sony centre, where it has been set up by a 16 year old on a saturday job! You ask them a question and you get "errr errrm, I'll just ask the manager"!!!

There's my 10 pence worth

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I set one up a few weeks ago, in a room exactly like mine, so I know what it sounds like, I agree it definitely sounds better and has more features than a DAV-S300, but my opinion is if upgrading it will be more worthwhile to investigate separates. If you disagree that's cool :cool:
    A neighbour has a Marantz / Mission / Paradigm combo, again in a similar room, on which I am basing my opinion. :)

15. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if you're going to spend 2K, then obviously it will sound alot better, but hey, it's up 2 u at the end of the day!! I spent £550 on mine multiregion and I'm over the moon with it, and it looks so much better than seperates!

Again, just my opinion!

16. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    £785 including Toshiba SD220 multi-region DVD player. :smoke:

Just an option to weigh up ! :D

17. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you want to buy a seperate DVD player with the DAV-S888? It is an all in one system!!!

18. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    £785 is the cost of the separates option including the DVD player, not for DAV-S888 plus a separate DVD player. :rotfl:

19. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Leesbriggs, where did you get it for £550 if you don't mind me asking?

20. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think it was DVDplayers.co.uk , but they have bumped the price back up now. I got it on barclaycard then got the price promise refund! AND an extra year warranty. Gotta love Barclaycard!!!(No, I don't work for them!)

21. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I set up a dav880 for a friend in his smallish room. IMHO it sounded pretty crud when compared to separates which you can buy for not much more.

As he had no previous home cinema experience he liked it. Anyway we returned it in the end, swapping it for a separates system consisting of -

Toshiba SD220
    Mission FS1 speakers
    Yamaha AX630

£800 including an optical lead.

Looks great - Sounds great (for the money):clap:

22. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My room is 10ft x 10.5ft. Room

Kind of a large image there, excuse the mess, gf's crap and various other stuff.

The wires for the S300 go behind the unit and under the carpet. Re-wiring would be a total pain in the ass. There's also not a lot of room for seperates imo. Money isn't actually a big deal, it's not like if I buy the S888 now and then get my own place in the future and go for seperates the S888 will become redundant.

I just wanted some opinions, for now, would it be a good move as I need multi-region, something that will read DVD-R fine yet still sounds good, etc, etc.

23. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm torn between the 888 and separates, I know that separates will sound better, but I've got a small lounge and they would take up too much space and not look as good as the 888, I've never heard proper home cinema separates before, but I used to be quite into hi-fi, so I'm not sure how pleased I will be with the 888.