1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-S888 to KV-28FX66

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Maarten NL, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Maarten NL

Maarten NL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    Question from the Netherlands please.

Finally I bought a HomeCinema set from Sony, the DAV-S888 and a nicely priced Sony KV-28FX66.
    I understand that in theory the best way to connect is using "component". The DVD-set has RGB, no Scart. The TV hasn't got RGB, but of course several Scarts. Today I bought a mid-priced Component cable "3 x RCB to Scart (Y Cb Cr)". But I wasn't successful or unhandy at getting a picture, regardless what Input I selected at the TV, and regardless how I put the switch at the DVD-set (between Selectable and Interlace).
    It seems my knowledge is too low to solve this puzzle.

CAN I USE THIS CABLE??? Is this TV cable of handling the signals?
    Or am I forced to use S-Video (at the side of the TV)

YOUR ADVICE PLEASE.
    THANKS.
    Maarten

2. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same DVD system running to a Sony Wega KV32DX30u TV. I was asking this same question as I wanted to make use of the component outs on DVD. Unfortunately, none of the sony "tube" tv's accept component input.

The only way you could do it would be to get a component to RGB convertor priced at about £100. IS IT REALLY WORTH IT you gotta ask yourself!

I am running an IXOS s-video to scart directional cable (about £25). I have to say, it is an excellent picture. I am used to RGB as I used to have a sony s735d using a QED SQART cable, but to be honest, the picture is just as good. Very impressed.

What are your impressions of the DAVs888? I personally love it. It looks great and sounds great!

Hope this helps.

Lee.

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    As leesbriggs points out in the above post, the lead you currently have won't be of any use to you without the addition of a component to RGB/S-Video convertor (very expensive! :()

The output on the DAV isn't "RGB" per se, but component - a different type of output altogether, but one which is required by the DAV in order to take advantage of the internal Progressive Scan technology. If you want to read a bit more about the different types of signal, and the pro's/con's for each then have a read here :)

Your best bet based on your setup would probably be S-Video if you want the best possible picture. An S-Video to Scart lead would do the trick.

Let us know if you need any more help.

K.

4. Maarten NL

Maarten NL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lee, thanks Kelvin,
    Sorry for my delay.
    You are right.
    Before I was online again, and therfore before I read your advices, I called with Sony Holland. They said - after some searching in their knowledge-base, the same. RGB is not applicable to this set (without explaining why).
    The same day I bought a good quality S-Video-to-Scart cable, and my picture (I estimate) is 15 to 20% better. Thanks!
    Now I am wondering about the thin cables to the Front and Rear Speakers of the DAV S888 system. OK, for the Subwoofer I alreay installed a good quality cable. But for Front and Rear I am not sure. Does it make a lot of diff.?
    Cheers.
    PS Loggin in to this site was not possible until today!

5. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did changing the sub cable make any difference? How did you deal with the connectors that plug into the back of the main unit?

6. Maarten NL

Maarten NL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1.) I think I hear a better sound, but I admit It might be a selffullfilling prophesy. The cable included by Sony was very thin. Now I got a 'fat' one; good brand.
    2.) Well the unit I have got (in Holland) has cinch connectors, so it speaks for itself.

extra.) About playing CD's (at any soundfield) and the sound quality, we are not so enthausiastic. Sound is quiet "thin".

Greetings,
    Maarten
    TWo days ago we watched "Changing Lanes": finally a not very exggarated (?spelling?) movie.

7. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What type of connectors does it have? Is the sub connector the same as the other speakers?

CD playback, play it in dolby pro logic II MUSIC. I think it sounds excellent, especially electronic music. Adds a whole new dimension!

8. Maarten NL

Maarten NL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee, I think our sets differ!
    I don't have Dolby Pro Logic II Music at my DAV S888.
    Wish I had.

No, the Subwoofer has only cinch. The other speakers have special format (coloured) connectors.

9. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TRUST ME, if you have a davs888, IT HAS GOT pro logic II!!!!

10. Maarten NL

Maarten NL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I trust you.
    But I tried.
    Where Lee?
    Not via Sound Field. I just tried.

11. Maarten NL

Maarten NL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee, wake up :) I hope you can point me the way to DPL II Music!!!

GoodNight, it's 01.07h here in Den Haag.

12. leesbriggs

leesbriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scroll thru the amp menu until you get 2 channel mode. Then use the right navigation arrow. It will scroll thru pro - logic, pro-logic II music and pro-logic II movie.

Hope this helps.

By the way, this is only for listening to 2 channel cd's and tv broadcasts.

13. Maarten NL

Maarten NL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.
    Today I will try, and let you know.