1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV-S888 multiregion hack ??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by llanellijack, Oct 14, 2003.

1. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie here !! Ive bought an Hitachi 42PD3000 linked up to a Sony Dav-S888 home cinema system via a component video lead ( QED SR CV1 ). The Sony system as I understand only supports progressive scan for Region 1 .. my system is locked to Region 2. I want to make it muti region so I can make use of the better picture quality with progressive scan. Sevenoaks have quoted me £150 :( Firstly is there a hack I can use to do this myself and if not, does anyone know of a place I can send the unit to be " chipped " for cheaper then this. Any help or advice will be most appreciated. Thanks !

2. Type23

Type23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LJ,
    See if you can get your money back then order it from digitaldirectuk I got a DAV-s888 already multi-region from them. Alternatively try contacting techtronics for a quote to mod your player, they do a multimod for most sony DVD players.
    How are you finding the s888 ? I haven't really been able to fully play with all the functions yet . I've set it up but find the back speakers don't seem to be loud enough ? I think its some setting which I'm not adjusting correctly ,any suggestions ?

Rgds

Rich

3. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rich,

Thanks for the reply, to be honest I aint set my system up yet as Im waiting to move into a new house at the end of Nov but I'll keep in touch to let you know how I get on with it. I bought my Dav-S888 at Currys cause I had £600 of vouchers to use there so it's still new in the box, to be honest thats the only reason I bought it cause it was the best one Currys had. Maybe I'll techtronics like you suggested. See as you have multi region, is there a big difference in picture quality between R2 component out and R1 progressive scan ? If there aint much noticeable difference then perhaps I'll just stick with R2 ?

Being new to this forum, I have noticed some very anti Sony feeling on here ? or is it just me :rolleyes: I demoed the DAV-S888 in Currys and it sounded great. From what I've read the sound from the rear speakers aren't supposed to be too loud or it will ruin the surround effect ? When I set up I will give you my thoughts.

Roll on end of November :D

4. Type23

Type23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LJ,
    Would definitely return the dav back to currys and have a look at

http://www.digitaldirectuk.com I bought my dav + PT-AE200 + cables stand etc from there last week (ask for Mike very helpful !). I need to play with my system more + agree Sony doesn't seem to have too much support here !. I made an impulse purchase but still the s888 is hardly a weak system ! + it looks the dogs nuts ! everyone who has walked into my flat has commented on it :blush:

Rgds

Rich

p.s Hope we can bounce some ideas off each other :)

5. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rich,

Yeah, the more ideas the better cause I'm very new to this game. I read atleast 4 reviews of the DAV-S888 from reputable mags / online sites before I bought the system and every one gave it high marks, suppose you'll never beat good separates for the best sound but as " All in Ones " go then it's about as good as you can get for under a grand. Infact all the DAV-S systems seem to get good reviews in mags. Cant understand why so many people are slating them on this forum :rolleyes: and like you say .. it looks the ****** :D Once I set up I'm also hoping to connect a Sky+ box to my DAVS via optical, think thats the way you do it ? :rolleyes:

Ah well, having fun learning :rotfl: mistakes will end up on eBay :laugh:

6. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using a DAV-S888 for about a month now, mainly with Sky+ and an optical cable. I've got absolutely no complaints whatsoever on the sound quality at all - although it does turn the sub-woofer off if i turn the volume below '10' (when the kids are in bed) and then there's nowhere near enough bass in the output and I end up turning the TV volume back up to compensate.

But all in all the sound quality is really good, in my opinion.

My biggest problem with the system at the moment is down to my old Sony 32" TV and the lack of RGB SCARTs on the DAV-S888. Until I get a new TV with a nice component input I'm stuck with running the DVD from the S-Video in the DAV to the AV1 SCART socket on my TV - but the picture quality just isn't right :(

There's a greenish 'tinge' to films sometimes and light reflections on objects/skin/clothes have a wierd 'glow' that flickers and can be very distracting - I know it's not meant to be like this.. maybe my S-Video to SCART cable is a dud?

Any DAV-S888 owners out there having the same problem or can shed some light on this? It's starting to drive me crazy! :mad:

I know I've mentioned this before in another thread somewhere, but I figure if anyone is gonna have an answer, it'll be fellow DAV users.. ;)

7. Type23

Type23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toole,
    Is your player MR ? I've heard that you can output prog scan in region 1(ntsc). This is supposed to give even better clarity. Haven't tried it yet as I'm currently working away from home. But will try it as soon as I get back.

Rich

p.s Just in case ! you have played with output settings on your sky + box ? RGB etc

p.p.s I haven't got Sky + just ordinary Sky because of "communal satellite" (sky installed the other week) and specifically asked for Pany box because I heard it was the best. Now find it doesn't have optical O/P :(

8. wesd

wesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    llanellijack,

Try www.multi-region.co.uk

They are offering multi region upgrades for the dav-s888 for £64.99. They also have a DIY upgrade facility for £39.99.

Hope this helps.

Wes

9. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wes, thanks for the info mate !! Much appreciated.

10. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I belive the firmware is similar to the 550 which I have. I got mine multi regioned for £20 from one of the Superfi outlets in Nottingham. If I had not bought the machine there, they would have charged £30.

I cannot believe that anywhere can get away with charging £65 let alone £150 for what is a 5 minute job.

11. b8drf

b8drf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there ...

I was interested to see your combination of the Sony DAV-S888 + Hitachi
    42" Plasma (42PD3000). This is exactly the same combo that I have been running now for a couple of weeks. I am also hooked up to sky digital via an optical digital connection.

I must admit, I wasn't aware that R2 DVD's were not output in Progressive, I guess you learn something everyday ... The Sony allows you to switch between progressive and interlaced on R2 but I guess that makes no difference??

Regaridng the multi-region, I purchased my DAV-S888 from the Sony centre and they made it multi-region for free ...

I would interested to trade experiences on the combo of your Sony & Hitachi.

rgds

12. moff

moff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've had my 888 set up for s few weeks now with a Panny 5, I've just orderd the Avia disc to help with fine tuning my set up but want to know if anyone else has the problem of the subwoofer going into standby and popping on again when the system needs it. It is annoying that when it clicks back on it is noisy and it misses some of the effect that it is there for. Is there a way of keeping it on?

Cheers.

13. b8drf

b8drf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there ...

there is a small switch on the rear of the Sub to either have the
    system go into standby after periods of inactivity (or low vol levels)
    or for it to be swtiched on permanently.

hth.

14. moff

moff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lovely, thanks for that mate.

15. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    it can me made multi-region using the same hack as the sony dvp ns300 dvd player

have a look at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Sony+DVP-NS300

i used a pronto to change my dvd player and 3 weeks ago used the same code to change my cousin's region 2 sony dav800 ( i think) to multi-region

16. trollza

trollza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This TV is the buisness, and the sony gives a great sound, i have mine connected via component (JVC from curry's £15) and the picture is great nice crisp clean lines, this is what watching movies is all about !