1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DAV S800

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by qwerty, Feb 7, 2002.

1. qwerty

qwerty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read the thread asking for DAV 550 info and seeing it bombarded with "elitist" separates comments about how poor DAVs are - please don't steel this thread to tell us how good your systems are. I am a total newcomer to the Home Cinema world and bought a DAV S800 cos we liked it and could afford it! Period!

We are very pleased with it but due to the poor documentation provided (and my ignorance) may not have set it up to achieve the best from it and therefor request the help of other owners who have far superior knowledge than my own basic AV theory.

What is the best way to connect the DAV into a Sony KV-32FX65U TV (3 scart input, L & R audio output) ), Sony SLV-SE 810G Video (1 Scart input 1 output) and bog standard Sky Digital Box (2 Scart Outputs)? What type of connectors? Which order to connect etc?

Again please excuse my ignorance, but is it possible to achieve 5.l surround sound from both the Video and Sky Digital through the DAV?

:eek::D

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The way I would do it:

DAV: S-vid out --> TV: S-vid scart in... (assuming the TV can take S-vid)

Digibox: scart out --> Video: scart in -->TV: RGB scart in... (gives you the RGB picture daisychained through the vid from the Digibox. You could make a triangle between the three if you prefer but I reckon this might be simpler)

TV: audio L&R out --> DAV: Audio L&R in... (should send all audio from the TV, including that from the video and digibox to the DAV). This will only be stereo sound, no digital, so will only be Dolby Prologic at best. 4 channels, not 5.1.

Of course this makes a lot of assumptions about what inputs your TV can take and if it can output audio, and if your video can daisychain RGB signals... if there are any problems let us know.

Just to say however, I think you should re-read the posts you have read on the DAV's. No one in here is elitist. Those of us who do not like the DAV's realise their attraction, but we were asked for our opinions and we gave them honestly. If you are happy with what you have then we are all very happy for you. The discussions were only dragged out by those people who insecurely seemed to want to change our minds, and received responses explaining our reasons for our opinions.

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid I cant answer your question directly, but in case you dont know there are a few Digital Cinema Sound formats on the DAV's which will give you surround sound coming from all speakers via a 2 channel source like VCR.

So once you get it hooked up, you can definately get the surround sound through the DAV from all your sources.
    Now Im in in Scart land so I know nothing about them but your only prob will be the number of connections (inputs) at the back of the DAV.

Anything you put in the (audio) input will be controlled by the DAV - if you have three input you can control the sound of those three. Now you may find that you have only 1 or 2 additional stereo inputs (L & R) on the back of the DAV (apart from the digital which are probably not relevant for you unless you have digital cable?) and in that case you will just have to get piggy backer connections from your local electronics store. They just plug into your 1 input and have 2 inputs atg the other end - so effectively when you put two of these into 1 of the L&R stereo inputs you not have 2 devices feeding into 1 input.

Hope this is explained properly. Let me know if its not.

As for the video you will have s-video in the back of the DAV ? Maybe you can get a scart to SVideo connector and connect up one of the video sources to the Svideo and 1 of the sources via good quality RCA and then the TV to the scart (assuming the DAV has the scart in the back also).

Hope this is some help - I dont have a DAV, just thought I might be some help until a DAV owner comes along.

Dont worry about the DAV naysayers - unless you have bull**** money to spend on seperates, in my experience there is little 'real world' difference between all in ones and low end seperates. You have a good unti which you will get great DVD enjoyment from.

4. qwerty

qwerty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pointon, Thanks for the info. The way you describe is how i have already set the sytem up. Perhaps I'm not that stupid.....but then again I probably am. My Tv can accept SVHS and RGB through the 3 Scarts. And I think the Vid is able to Daisy chain the RGM signal.

I was considering purchasing some Scart to Vid and L&R Phono Jacks to attempt the following:

Sat Scart Output 1 to DAV L&R&V Input2
    DAV L&R&V Output1 to Video Scart Input.
    Video Output to DAV L&R&V Input2
    DAV SVHS to TV
    Sat Scart2 to TV Scart.

Being unsure if this would either (A) improve the setup or (B) not work at all I am not prepared to mess up what I have already and am seeking advice.

At present the sound from the vid comes out of the Front L&R and centre Speakers andthe Sub only.

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not too sure why you'd want to send video from the Digibox through the DAV, if you're connecting the digibox to the TV by RGB scart anyway, or why you'd connect the VCR up to the DAV in such a way. Are you anticipating trying to tape DVD movies, if you can get around Macrovision?

I reckon it'd be a bit pointless to be honest. What you have I think is already the optimum way to connect everything, and it isn't going to do anything about the video's audio output. I know how it feels to run connections through your head all the time, trying to think up a better method (heck I've drawn my fair share of rough diagrams).

Sometimes you just have to know when to leave it. Money better spent on a new DVD or something.

Or a Tivo!

6. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....that although I agree with Pointon's set up (and agree that there's no point/only negatives in wiring thru your DAV) I would personally check that your VCR is capable of passing thru RGB, as I didn't think it would. Best way to check is to simply use the Sky digibox set up screens to switch between composite and RGB output and if you notice a difference (mainly edge definition) it's working. If you don't see any difference (it's REALLY noticeable) I would take a scart direct from the digibox to the TV RGB input and another scart from the digibox aux to the VCR for recording, then use another scart from the VCR to another input on your telly. If Pointon's way worked, you can see why he suggested it, as it's much simpler!

Simon

7. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    I'm not sure if the DAV-S800 is the same as the 500 but on my 500 I bought a S-Video - Scart lead and this resulted in a black & white picture. I had to go back to a phono lead.

Not sure what the problem was.

The lead was about £20 from Partmaster.
    The TV is a 3 month old JVC (bought with the DAV)

I suspect the lead is the problem but not sure why and don't want to go buying another one until I'm sure it will work. I'll probably end going into a Sony shop and asking.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

RDB :confused:

8. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A black and white picture could be a couple of things.

1 - TV not able to handle NTSC correctly so RGB scart is needed (not an option on the DAV range - so if it is this, then you are looking at an expensive fix)

2 - plugging the scart into the wrong scart socket.

3 - outputting the wrong video signal for the type of connection used. ie dvd set as composite but you are using s-video or vice versa.

Scart is a connection method, not a video signal. it can carry RGB, s-video and composite. Different scart sockets on the back of the tv will carry certain signals. RGB is the best option and this is normally on scart one. Although the Sony DAV doesn't have RGB so you can ignore that. S-video is the next option and normally this is enabled on the other scarts (or one of the other scarts). Make sure you have the scart lead plugged into the s-video enabled socket. Most televisions will auto-detect between composite and s-video but some, like Panasonic, need to be manually switched between the two.

For the record, the elitist comments made by qwerty are very naive and are the sort of comment i would expect from someone who has paid a lot of money for a system, only to realise he has been ripped off and now doesn't want to admit it.

9. bumper31

bumper31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    QWERTY I have a 800 and a 32" Philips with 3 scarts (2RGB) and svideo in. SKYD, ITVD, 2 Videos, (1 SVHS)

As you can see quite a mess.

My suggestion would just ignore the SCARTS and plug SVIDEO from 800 directly into the SVIDEO in plug tucked away down the side.

SKYD 1 SCART to RGB enabled SCART on the TV, (Probably SCART1)
    SKYD 2nd scart to IN on the VCR. Allowing recording of SKY via SCART.

VCR OUT SCART to TV SCART 2 or 3, I've got mine in 3 as I also have RGB ITVD going to SCART 2.

This should leave you with 1 SCART free if you ever need to connect anything else up. And no daisy chaining.

You can also take phono out from your 800 to plug into the phono in next to your svideo in. This would allow you to watch a DVD thru the TV. Pointless but you never know. I haven't done it.

Finally my tv has phono out, hopefully yours will too. I have taken these and plugged them into the inputs on the 800, so you can choose "Function 1" and whatever you are watching, the sound comes through the 800. Only in DPL though.

Hope this helps.

10. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    Thanks DoubleDoom. I will try the various Scart sockets on the TV and see if they have different capabilities. There is also an S-video in socket but it's at the front of the TV so don't want wires hanging out the front permanently.

I didn't realise the DVD may be able to switch between different types of video output. I'll have a look into that tonight (after Futurama of course).

Qwerty, there is a very good 'wiring diagram' for the DAV series on sony.co.uk. Can't remember what it's under exactly but you'll find it easily enough and then you can download it as an acrobat file for printing. Shows various combinations of TV/Vid/Satellite etc and also gives the correct leads for each connection. Probably not as useful as some of the suggestions given earlier in the post, but it gives you something to look at (and scribble on) as you're wiring up.

RDB :)

11. davidh

davidh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed this too at first and then realised I had to toggle through the AV feeds on the TV selector ..... basically mine was set that I had AV2 in black & white but the next feed was AV2 'S' which was the S-video feed in glorious colour.

Much better quality than the lead provided with the DAV.

12. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be a panasonic tv?

13. davidh

davidh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if it should do it this way but works.

Is it because the 2nd scart (the one I'm using) is the one that takes s-video.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is no hard and fast rule but most TV's seem to accept RGB through AV1 and S-video through AV2 and AV3.

On JVC TV's AV2 and 3 will default to composite unless you specify s-video in the setup menu

15. qwerty

qwerty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Despite all the wonderful and helpful responses to my thread, the fact that I fully admit that I am nothing more than an absolute beginner in the field of AV technology and the point I made earlier about not bombarding this thread with elitist back biting - someone just could not keep their opinions to themselves.

For the record Doubledoom all things are relative. I do not consider the amount of money a large sum therfore I do not feel ripped off. The fact that AV systems are not my life and just a tool to improve my film viewing experience means I'm not bothered about wasting time researching every minor purchase. As you were told on the other thread, where you chose to place yourself upon a golden pedastle - its horses for courses my dear chap.

Atitudes and comments such as yours are what I would expect from a pompous self-righteous bigot. Surely as an AV God you would gladly welcome any newcomer to this form of media instead of berating them - only if more people buy into the home cinema experience will the costs decrease and the performance boundaries be pushed further.

To every other post I would like to say thank you very much for the assistance you have given me.

16. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Qwerty, without any bearing on either yourself or Doubledoom, I would ask you to rethink the use of the word bigot. I have met many bigots in my line of work, and find the use of such a description a little insulting. This may seem trivial, but a bigot Doubledoom is not.

17. qwerty

qwerty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pointon I am sorry if the term Bigot offends you but by reference to the Collins English Dictionary reference
    It is my opinion that as Doubledoom appears intolerant of other peoples points of view or their right to have an opinion that differs from his own I feel that the term is justified. :D

18. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Here's hoping the only bigot you ever have to deal with is one of the Home Cinema kind then...

19. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, i am intolerant of idiots.

If you begin by insulting forum members who have offered their opinions, when asked, then expect to get a little back.

If you are happy spending £800 odd quid, without doing any research on what you are buying and end up with a below par system, against other units in the same price range, which you feel is satisfactory for your needs, then that is fine. It doesn't mean that others, who are willing to listen, should make the same mistake. If you know what the pros and cons are and then buy one, that is your own choice.

I doubt the rest of your comments are truthful. If you had money to burn, you wouldn't buy a DAV and if you didn't care about research, you wouldn't be posting in these forums.

As soon as you saw other people mentioning the shortcomings of the DAV units, you turned to insulting those people without listening to what was being said.

20. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    Ian J, you've cracked it!

I noticed from other posts of yours you have the same 32WFT1 tv. As a beginner it wouldn't have ocurred to me in a million years that the EXT sockets settings would need changed for S-Video input but there you go.

Found the bit in the manual, changed the setting and then bunged in Tron DVD. Certainly sharpens things up a bit. Originally wasn't too happy with the picture quality of that particular disk.
    Shrek already looked amazing through composite, so I think I'll give it a play tonight through my new-found S-VHS cabability.

Thanks,

RDB :D

PS Do you find the picture from Sky Digital (if you have it) on the JVC a bit over-contrasted (is that a word?) when using RGB-in with scart control on the digibox turned on. By this I mean if an area of the picture is dark, eg in a shadow, it is VERY dark. The scart control overrides most of the picture settings on the TV eg contrast, sharpness etc. All I can do with Sky is adjust the brightness and put the TV in Warm picture setting, but it's not really satisfactory. In fact I'm beginning to think I prefer the Sky composite signal to the RGB signal. (or I might end up using RGB with scart control turned off, though this has other complications)

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    RDB,

I don't have any problems with RGB on Sky which I have routed through the DVD player. If you turn off the RGB picture on the Digibox you will be left with composite which is much inferior.

Most of the picture adjustments don't work on RGB as it is pure colours being sent down the cable. (probably technically incorrect but you know what I mean).

When watching cricket with the score box in the corner, under composite it looks like the output from a cheap dot matrix printer but with RGB the blacks are solid and readable.

22. qwerty

qwerty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doubledoom. Who started the insults? Here, as in other threads, it was you. Do not bother to respond to this for my benefit (Though you probably will .....YAWN) as I will not be returning to this forum.

Make the most of your life ....when you get one!:kisses:

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Doubledoom doesn't have to waste his time answering as I will do it for him. Re-read the thread - you posed a series of connections questions along with an insult about elitist comments and I for one read your post and didn't bother to reply as I didn't like your tone.

You further stated that "AV systems are not your life and just a tool to improve your film viewing experience meaning you're not bothered about wasting time researching every minor purchase."

You may not wish to waste your valuable time researching every minor purchase but when you realise that you don't know what you are doing you come onto the forum and expect everyone else to waste their time researching an answer for your mistakes.

In that respect Doubledoom is the worst culprit as every day there is a ******** like you who can't be bothered to use the search facility and posts the same questions that have been answered a 100 times before and he wastes his time answering them (without any elitist comments) whereas many others including myself don't bother.

If you carry out your threat not to return we will all miss you terribly.

24. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Ian. Good to see he wont be coming back. It saves me making him the first ignored person in the board settings.